BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Rear Spring Dislocation

More
30 Oct 2011 22:15 #24880 by supergaz
Today my rear spring dislocated, It Is a +3" spring with B4V 1.5" spacers, and I am using +3" E3000 pro-comp shocks with bigjimny rear shock relocators, Anyone any ideas why this happend, or maybe me trying to hard? All my suspension is brand new as this was the first outing, This was my only problem, so i'm happy.

Attachment SAM_0620_2011-10-31.JPG not found

Luckily I still have plenty of arch clearance even when sitting on the bump stops.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mumbo Jimbo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Oct 2011 23:01 #24882 by Mumbo Jimbo
Replied by Mumbo Jimbo on topic Re: Rear Spring Dislocation
The ORA 4.5" lift kit comes with clamps to fix the rear springs to the lower spring mount.

• ShuDuck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2011 07:31 #24888 by ShuDuck
Replied by ShuDuck on topic Re: Rear Spring Dislocation
shock is too long

More
31 Oct 2011 08:05 #24894 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re: Rear Spring Dislocation
Surely, if the shock were shorter then it would bottom out which I agree would stop the spring dislocating but would damage the shock. Shocks should not hit the end stops at either end of their travel.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• ShuDuck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2011 08:15 #24896 by ShuDuck
Replied by ShuDuck on topic Re: Rear Spring Dislocation
Isn`t the procomps designed to do this? as they have an internal bump stop

More
31 Oct 2011 13:06 #24904 by supergaz
Its a +3 shock, with 4.5" lift, so. Should have bottomed out, I am also using shock relocators so still the shock isnt to long as I have 1.5" spring spacers. The pro-comp es3000 has got the internal bump stops, I am pretty sure this will have now blown. They did however pass the mot last week and were in good condition. Will be the weekend before I can see if there is any damage, those brake pipes have been hit by the spring.

More
31 Oct 2011 20:40 - 31 Oct 2011 20:42 #24932 by kirkynut
You have 3" of spring + 1.5" of spring spacer = 4.5" of lift.

You have a 3" longer shock to standard and a Big Jimny bracket which extends the shock about 1.5" = 4.5".

So the theory is that the spring should go loose but not dislocate. At the rears you have a large cone at the top which stops it coming out at the top but the seat at the bottom is only shallow so it can get pulled out at the bottom if not still slightly compressed.

The shock is what limits the droop / downwards articulation, so it may get to it's stop when fully extended but you don't want to over compress them as that will cause damage, internal bump stop or not. I suspect you would have tyre hitting bodywork before the shock fully compresses though.

I think your immediate solution would be to take off the Big Jimny shock repositioning bracket to reduce the length of your shock by 1.5". That will hopefully be enough to keep the spring in place.

You will then have the issues of having to stop the shock from hitting the cross member / panhard rod at the rear. Spacing it out with large washers is possible as this is what I have done. The problem is solved with Castor Corrected rear arms and the need for the re-location bracket is possibly removed also.

When you look at the ORA lifts, they do include a rear spring clamp, whcih clamps the bottom of the spring to it's seat and the cone at the top acts like a dislocation cone and keeps the spring in place as the shocks are specified at a length to allow a small amount of dislocation.

You'll also notice that the kits include rear castor correction arms but no rear shock repositioning brackets. I asked Rob Butler about this and he stated they are not needed with the castor corrrection. It must put it back to factory positioning if you understand what I mean - turning the axle so the shock sits straight on the mounting bolt.

I am fortunate enough to know a man with a forklift. So I can test my suspension before I take it off road.

I have played with rear location brackets from several suppliers and with the shocks the length mine are I deemed them too long to use the brackets and feared what would happen to you woudl happen to me.

As such I plan to not deviate from kits / matched springs and shocks from suppliers now as they have doen the playing around to see what works and what doesn't to save me the mucking about.

Like I say though, I think your issue will be resolved simply by the removal of those brackets. If you buy shorter shocks in the future you could re-fit them.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 31 Oct 2011 20:42 by kirkynut.
The following user(s) said Thank You: supergaz

More
31 Oct 2011 21:38 #24941 by supergaz
Thanks alot kirkynut, I will remove my shock brackets as I have ora rear 4.5 correction arms. I dont have any cones on the top of my rear spring mounts from memory, however the spring spacer has not moved. I will have to see whats there once I returnhome for the weekend. Then probaly have to replace the shock as this has completely bottomed out as per picture, I was fortunate to be able to drive out of the quarry as the bodylift and well trimmed arches give me more than enough arch clerance.

More
31 Oct 2011 21:44 #24942 by supergaz
I fancy some rear spring clamps if rob at ora will supply just this part.
I also will be pre ordering other parts to collect at tor in march.

More
01 Nov 2011 03:48 #24945 by kirkynut
Crickey, I didn't realise the shock was fully collapsed in the picture. Without the bracket you'll be causing the shock to be 1.5" further open all the time meaning it has 1.5" more to go before it's fully closed and it will have 1.5" less to open which is hopefully enough to keep the spring in. Time will tell!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• g187eev
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Nov 2011 08:29 #24953 by g187eev
Replied by g187eev on topic Re: Rear Spring Dislocation
We will be adding our spring clamps to our stock list as an individual item, as this does seem to becoming a regular issue with various different lift combos.

RB

• Monkey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Nov 2011 09:34 - 01 Nov 2011 09:41 #24957 by Monkey
Replied by Monkey on topic Re: Rear Spring Dislocation
I have was having issue's with my passenger side rear falling out (shorter spring than driver's side) as seen here:

Bit of custom booty fab solved every thing ;)

I am looking at getting some custom rear shocks made, we are just stuck for bore size as this stage :( , but once we sort that out i will be adding Nissan patrol drop out cone's with a bump stop as part of the cone....

Edit: oh and i will be getting 4.5" ORA arm's once fund's permit....castor angle is a bit out :whistle: and the only thing stopping my front spring's falling out are the fact the coil spacer's hold them....
Last edit: 01 Nov 2011 09:41 by Monkey.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds