BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Massive price differences

More
25 Mar 2024 08:24 - 25 Mar 2024 10:39 #255222 by JAGtheman
Unfortunately, the hesitation and missing when I start the Jimny in cold weather is still not gone (there is a thread in Jimny technical). Researching the topic on the forum, I came across a similar situation which was solved by the owner replacing the coil with a Suzuki coil, not an aftermarket replacement coil. I have bought the most expensive after market coils and cables I can locate on the internet using recognised brand names, and the coils cost me around GBP50 each. So I decided OK, I buy from Suzuki and see if that helps. GBP250 plus EACH. HUH?? Well that aint happening....

Another item that was suggested I replace was the cam sensor. No issues, cheapest on the internet is around GBP20, most expensive around GBP50. Suzuki... again over GBP200???????

My aircon pump. Suzuki around GBP2000 (I paid GBP3000 for the vehicle). Import from China, looks identical, took 2 weeks, all in under GBP220.

So this brings me to the point of this post. Are the aftermarket items truly rubbish and the Suzuki parts so much better that we should never consider anything else or are Suzuki just smoking some sort of white powder??

..... If rebuilt the JImny with Suzuki spare parts I could probably buy a ferrari for less..

Comments?

Julian
2008 Gen 3 Manual
Being completely revitalised
Last edit: 25 Mar 2024 10:39 by JAGtheman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Otter007

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2024 08:40 - 25 Mar 2024 08:41 #255223 by rogerzilla
Some aftermarket spares just don't work.  The electronic ones seem more dodgy than the mechanical ones.

Where are you getting the genuine parts prices from?  My local main dealer's parts counter charges far less than the online places, sometimes only about 60-70%.

An alternative to new coils is a used pair from a low mileage car with the same engine.  Ebay is full of them.
Last edit: 25 Mar 2024 08:41 by rogerzilla.

More
25 Mar 2024 08:52 - 25 Mar 2024 08:55 #255224 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Massive price differences
I would consider buying used car parts from either private or registered local scrappers. From my own experience with the UK scrappers on ebay not so sure, better to buy from private scrappers in here.

Remember that most 1.3 and 1.6 Suzuki coils are all the same.

Sorry but I cannot find your thread on hesitation on cold start.
Here's mine: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/7-jimny...at-cold-start#255203

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 25 Mar 2024 08:55 by yakuza.

More
25 Mar 2024 10:49 #255226 by JAGtheman
Replied by JAGtheman on topic Massive price differences
The Suzuki parts I got quoted were from Suzuki close to Huntingdon where I have my tent when I am in the UK.. I did not & have not bought any parts from Suzuki given the massive price difference. I would gladly buy genuine when I face an issue like this hesitation/missing on startup as we are now poking in the dark hoping to hit the problem.

Not sure if dealers details can be shared on this forum, so any idea what would your dealer charge for a coil and for a cam sensor for a 2008 M13A engine?

I am now hesitant about buying a cam sensor onloine etc given such a huge price difference.

I would love to swop out my locks as my keys do not fit in the pax and rear door , but the price Suzuki quoted to replace the lock and reprogram the key was up there with the cost a of my flight home to Cape Town next week.

Julian
2008 Gen 3 Manual

More
25 Mar 2024 11:27 #255227 by rogerzilla
I can tell you what we're paying for a new remote key: £182 all working and coded to the car.  Timpsons wanted £260 for the same thing, so the main dealer was far cheaper.

My local dealer is Pebley Beach Swindon if you want to call their parts counter and see if they're any cheaper for the sensor and coil packs.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 Mar 2024 16:04 #255235 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Massive price differences
If you want genuine parts then try Martin in the shop in the top banner, he's very competitive on price.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
25 Mar 2024 19:08 #255238 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Massive price differences
Items like coils and leads are often not made by Suzuki, but made by one of the bigger part suppliers. My opinion is find a quality brand you know and trust E.g. Denso, NGK, Beru, Bosch, etc, if any of these make a suitable coil it should work as well as the original.

Even a cheap brand will probably work fine when new, but won’t last as long, so if your aftermarket coils/leads haven’t fixed the problem it might be something else.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
25 Mar 2024 20:30 - 25 Mar 2024 20:30 #255240 by rogerzilla
Sticking to known OEM brands is good but you're still exposed to the risk of counterfeit items on all the large Internet marketplaces.  Beware of sellers with less than 99.7% positive feedback, dropshippers and any where the feedback hints at goods being non-genuine.
Last edit: 25 Mar 2024 20:30 by rogerzilla.

More
26 Mar 2024 16:35 #255249 by Darthblaker7474
As others have said, try the BigJimny shop (really good if you need parts ASAP).

Or if you don't mind waiting, Amayama  has OEM parts very cheap, although you may have to pay import fees depending on which warehouse you order from (I had do with the Japan one, not the UAE strangley.)

More
27 Mar 2024 16:18 #255257 by JAGtheman
Replied by JAGtheman on topic Massive price differences
Unfortunately the parts I have needed have been out of stock when I look at their inventory pages. I always look there first as I believe we should all support this shop! If they have it, I will buy it!

Julian
2008 Gen 3 Manual

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
27 Mar 2024 17:20 #255259 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Massive price differences
Drop Martin a massage directly he will be able to assist.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds