BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

LCV first impressions

• rogerzilla
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2024 22:00 #254812 by rogerzilla
LCV first impressions was created by rogerzilla
I had a manual gen3 for 4 years and we have an auto gen3, so I'm not exactly new to Jimnys.  I've done a few miles in the LCV now, so my first impressions are:

Engine has more torque than the old M13A but is quite a bit more gruff.  It's a desaxe engine, apparently, so there is probably more vibration.  Performance is certainly adequate.

The seating position is tolerable for short runs but I am going to have to lose the cage and possibly the bulkhead, as I get a stiff neck on longer drives - not enough recline.  I am not particularly tall. The cage also prevents the usual action of  reversing with your left arm behind the passenger seat.

The clutch action is very good, as is the steering.  There is a lot of engine and gearbox movement when taking up drive, something less noticeable in the auto because of its traditional slushbox.  I think the engine mounts might be softer than in my old gen3 manual.

It"s far softer and less crashy over bumps than the gen3. This is a huge improvement.

Build quality was better in the gen3, I think.  Generally, 1990s-designed cars were the pinnacle of overbuilt vehicles - there are good technological reasons for this.

The LCV boot is really quite large and usefully-shaped.

LDWS is terrible and has no idea what a lane marking is, and what isn't.  It even picks up the tyre marks of the car in front on wet roads.  Luckily it hasn't tried to intervene - it just flashes angrily at me.  Turning it off (must be done every trip) results in a bright amber warning light all the time.  In.my Mazda 3, I can permanently shut LDWS off with no warning light.

High Beam Assist works pretty well.

The heater blower sounds as if there is something fluttery stuck in it.

Indicated fuel consumption is about 40mpg so far in mixed driving.  It drinks fuel above 60mph but I generally drive Jimnys no faster than that anyway.

Although they're not standard, the Bridgestone AT002 tyres are absolutely brilliant on the road.

It's one of those rare cars that looks good from every angle.

Chiffon Ivory is very much cream, not beige.  Suzuki do the Ignis in beige and the difference is marked.

Overall, I'm pleased with it but you really have to be short, or really like sitting bolt upright, to drive one without removing the divider pieces.  At least wr can still buy a Jimny in some form.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2024 22:53 - 04 Mar 2024 22:54 #254814 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic LCV first impressions
Interesting and going from a Gen 3 SZ4 to a Gen 4 SZ5 with 23,000 miles I agree with most of your points.

However, I think my Gen 4 has a smoother engine, it’s certainly less noise and generally feels tighter all round. I certainly couldn’t feel any more engine/gearbox movement.

I noticed it rides over speed humps without the usual crash bang so might have softer springs or perhaps more progressive dampers.

I can’t say I have had any problems with lane departure though, it seems to detect when you straddle a line.

No problems with the heater or fan, so perhaps yours has some packing stuck in there?

I have only been out once at night and did get flashed at whilst on dip on the back lanes. It was quite hilly, I don’t think the lights are set too high, but might check them and or nudge them down a bit, they are very bright even on dip.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Last edit: 04 Mar 2024 22:54 by DrRobin.

More
04 Mar 2024 23:00 #254815 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic LCV first impressions
I wonder if the LCV is different from the SZ5. I turned the lane assist stuff off the day I got the Jimny over 4 years ago and off it stays without need to do anything.

More
04 Mar 2024 23:24 #254816 by jlines
Replied by jlines on topic LCV first impressions
I turned the lane departure off on both of mine straight away as it’s far too sensitive. I would also turn off the crash alarms permanently if I could as this is also far to sensitive with the car not being able to recognise pedestrians on curbs and bends in the road so thinks your going to drive straight into someone. I don’t like the Auto dip beams I find there’s too much lag in the system annoying other road users. I agree with your heater comment as I’ve also noticed the rustling sound at full blast sounding like a leaf stuck inside. The cage is gone in mine and made a big difference in comfort bringing it in line with my SZ5 

More
05 Mar 2024 19:26 #254839 by Motacilla
Replied by Motacilla on topic LCV first impressions
I am amazed that anyone would drive the LCV *without* taking out the bulkhead.

The lane detection and crash avoidance seem to work ok on my LCV, but I get phantom "vehicle sway detected" warnings fairly frequently. This seems to be driven by visual imperfections in the road surface being picked up by the camera, as it is never the case that the road wheels are doing something funny nor am I applying any steering inputs. I'm not even entirely sure why it would check for sway when I am not towing. Would be great to be able to turn that feature off.

More
06 Mar 2024 16:57 #254862 by Jimnyjon
Replied by Jimnyjon on topic LCV first impressions
Noob here, hi all. Just bought an LCV absolutely love it, great practical little car, bags of character. I have removed the cage to give me room to put the seats in a comfortable position. I plan to do a few upgrades. Wish it had a sixth gear for more relaxed cruising. I don't intend to take it off road so road tyres are the order of the day. Not sure what size wheel to go for though.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds