BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

What's the normal lifespan of an alternator? (Gen 3)

More
08 Mar 2024 17:39 #254930 by GandHisJimny
Right yeah, that makes sense now that I've done the job. That is a particularly bad design. I think my crank shaft pulley is ok though, gave it a wiggle and felt nothing.

The good news is that now my banshee squeal on start-up appears to be gone. I start-stopped it 3 times in a row with lights and heated mirrors - no unusual noise.

The bad news is that I am now getting what I'd call chirping when revving above 2,000 RPM (even when stationary). That's new. I think it's because I slightly damaged my power steering belt when installing it. I couldn't get it over the pulley and (stupidly) used an allen key braced against the engine to try to pop it on.

I only realised after that in doing so I nicked off a piece of the rubber off at the end of the belt... Sigh. I might just pop my old one back on and see if that fixes it. Now I understand how the idle pulley fits together it shouldn't take too long.

Jimmer II (2007 JLX+ auto in black & silver) : Android head unit, Black Raptor Steering Damper, Yokohama Geolandar G015s, rear cabin light, OEM wind deflectors

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2024 13:03 #254968 by GandHisJimny
Ah nice, realised I just hadn't tensioned the idle pulley tightly enough and so it had a slight wobble if I rocked it back and forth by hand. Now it's all tightened up and properly tensioned - no noises at all!

Not a very fun job to do with the radiator still in place but did it and that's my first time swapping a belt :-)

Jimmer II (2007 JLX+ auto in black & silver) : Android head unit, Black Raptor Steering Damper, Yokohama Geolandar G015s, rear cabin light, OEM wind deflectors

More
10 Mar 2024 20:44 #254988 by Darthblaker7474
FWIW I replaced my alternator at around 150k as it was dying.

I believe it was the original one, that I replaced with a new old-stock Denso one I got for £90! 

More
12 Mar 2024 14:54 - 12 Mar 2024 14:55 #255036 by GandHisJimny
Nice, it seems like if you've got an older or higher mileage Jimny then the alternator / bearings croaking it is something to look out for.

With respect to my earlier belt replacement... I thought I had mine tensioned enough to not squeal on start-up but 2 nights ago I heard it after testing with heated mirrors / lights. A very quiet squeak. That was after I used a bar as leverage to tighten it up as well. I'm getting just over 90 degree turn in the belt which is pretty tight but maybe it simply needs to be tightened more!

If that doesn't fix it and I still get slippage then I'll give it one last tighten before I accept that the alternator is probably goosed.

Last edit: 12 Mar 2024 14:55 by GandHisJimny.

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds