BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

LED Lights

More
05 Oct 2023 17:22 #251200 by JAGtheman
LED Lights was created by JAGtheman
I got hooted at a few months back for not showing my turn indicators.. at least that is what I suspect. I realised that the Jimny does not have the brightest rear turn indicators or brake lights. The EU models have both red sections of the dummy light holders on the rear of the vehicle actually working as brake lights (both reverse lights too). So I decided to upgrade and bought me some fancy LED lights and now my rear brake lights are clearly visible. Indicators would be too if I inserted the necessary resistor, and the single reverse light also now actually really does light up. 

But what about my next MoT..... will I have to remove these bulbs and replace them with the old candle powered versions?

I think I know the answer..... 

Julian
2008 Gen 3 Manual
Being completely revitalised

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2023 19:05 - 05 Oct 2023 19:09 #251203 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic LED Lights
My understanding and experience with my Land Rover (when I had to get it MOT'ed) was so long as indicators and rear / brake lights are the correct colours, they work, and the lens isn't damaged, they don't care what bulbs types are fitted.
Headlights have a beam pattern which is tested, this is why retro fit LED bulbs in units not designed for them tend to fail the MOT.
If you have fitted new LED light units, I suspect so long as the have the correct E markings on them they should be ok. Most testers don't look any way, red / amber light on at the correct time is all they look at.
I wouldn't change them for the MOT, but that's just me.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 05 Oct 2023 19:09 by Scimike.

More
05 Oct 2023 20:45 #251204 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic LED Lights
I think Scimike is spot on, it's only headlamps where you have to replace the whole lamp unit and aren't allowed to use just LED bulbs. Bulbs only should be fine for all your other lights.

More
05 Oct 2023 22:33 #251209 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic LED Lights
Sadly LEDs cannot be used in any external light fitting unless it was designed for LED and stamped with the appropriate E code.

That said, the tester probably won’t fail it for having LED indicator bulbs, even if they notice, they should on an indicator as you get a very crisp on/off. I have LED side light bulbs fitted for years, never had a problem but these will be harder to spot.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
06 Oct 2023 17:02 #251222 by JAGtheman
Replied by JAGtheman on topic LED Lights
I always do a pre-MOT inspection a month or so earlier so I can get / do anything they moan about, and the bulbs will take me 30 minutes to swop out if I have to. I have left the headlights and fog lights as standard. I have changed the brake lights and the side indicators , very quick and simple to switch back.

The MoT handbook is very prescriptive, and my German MoT examiner has almost zero sense of humour and is really thorough, so I fully expect a finger pointing and a stern Nein... but I will give it a go! He knows I live in Munich so hopefully he is a Bayern Munich fan....

Julian
2008 Gen 3 Manual
Being completely revitalised

More
07 Oct 2023 13:05 #251240 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic LED Lights
The OSRAM Night Breaker LED are certified and legal for Gen 3, at least in the EU. There is a certification to download and show the inspector.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds