BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Map Upgrade

More
03 Oct 2023 15:31 #251162 by Lupi
Map Upgrade was created by Lupi
A couple of Australians living in Italy. Planning a road trip to Austria and want an upgrade for the Bosch map for our Gen4 Jimny.  Original map 2019. Was blown away with a cost of 500 Euros. We can see Amazon sd cards for sale, but does not specify Jimny. Any help, thoughts, experiences with map upgrade??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2023 16:12 #251165 by 300bhpton

More
07 Oct 2023 14:18 #251242 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Map Upgrade
A good offline map would be OsmAnd. If you do the map updates on your own, then this is for free.

Have fun in Austria!!!

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Oct 2023 07:35 #251255 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Map Upgrade
I think most people use one of the smartphone apps simply because you get live traffic thrown in.  Manufacturers' satnav has some advantages, like dead reckoning in tunnels, but having to pay a hefty subscription for (usually inferior) live traffic information means few people use it.

More
08 Oct 2023 09:26 #251259 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Map Upgrade
There are some maps about if you know where to look. Searching for Suzuki SLDA is a start.
The problem is that they are keyed to the serial number of the SD card, so you have to get a particular type of SD card and use a utility to change it's serial number. (I don't know why you can't patch the map to the card that you have, I suppose it it were that easy.....)

The dead reckoning is brilliant- mine very rarely has a satellite lock and it does a good job of navigating without it as long as I don't go far enough off a road to confuse it, or travel on close parallel roads, when it jumps to the wrong one.

Here in the UK they haven't built any new roads (or surfaced the old ones) since 1846, so I find the 2019 maps fine. Yes there are the odd one way restriction  or "closed to traffic" that appeared since the map was made, but these things change overnight and a brand new map would be out of date.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
08 Oct 2023 12:26 #251263 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Map Upgrade
Not sure where you are in the U.K. Lots of new roads, layouts and housing estate everywhere I’ve driven in the past 5+ years.

More
08 Oct 2023 20:34 #251281 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Map Upgrade
Maybe 1846 was an exaggeration, but I don't find it a problem (certainly not enough of a problem to fork out a 3 figure sum to solve).  If a junction layout has changed I just do what I used to do in The Olden Days and figure out where to go from the signs. (Or get it wrong and the Satnav will re-route.)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
09 Oct 2023 12:49 #251297 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Map Upgrade

Maybe 1846 was an exaggeration, but I don't find it a problem (certainly not enough of a problem to fork out a 3 figure sum to solve).  If a junction layout has changed I just do what I used to do in The Olden Days and figure out where to go from the signs. (Or get it wrong and the Satnav will re-route.)
I agree, at least to a certain extent. Although if you end up on a completely new road, it can be very easy to get lost. As you likely won't show on the map apart from in a field, which the standard Nav doesn't show anyway.

I think the op also mentioned other countries, so likely somewhat more challenging if you go the wrong way. Most navs will try and direct you back to where you went wrong, if that was the main way to through that bit. So if it isn't there any longer it can be more challenging than it perhaps should be.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds