BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen 4 SZ4 tyre choice

More
20 Aug 2023 19:38 #250408 by Micheal
Apologies if this has been answered before. Any advice as to best 195/80R15 tyres for SZ4 2018 model. Roads driven over are generally:
4 miles of forest track daily then up to 60 miles on A class roads. Current tyres suffer frequent punctures, mainly sidewalls, on the forest track. I need something with strong sidewalls, good on stone/gravel track with potholes and then normal A roads.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2023 19:56 #250410 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Gen 4 SZ4 tyre choice
For sidewall punctures, any LT (Light Truck) tire should be an improvement, so look for LT195/80R15 tires.

I'd like to suggest you consider going up to an LT215/75R15 but it's your choice.

More
20 Aug 2023 20:01 #250411 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Gen 4 SZ4 tyre choice
Maybe consider some All Terrain tyres, they should be more puncture resistant.

215/75R15 will fit straight on and might give more options too. I'm running Maxxis Wormdrive AT's. I have been very impressed with them. On or off road. So much so that I put a set on the Ninety as well.

More
20 Aug 2023 20:06 - 20 Aug 2023 21:03 #250412 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Gen 4 SZ4 tyre choice
Yokohama Geolander AT's are available in standard size. I have them and they perform really well On the road and Off.
No noticeable difference in road noise or fuel consumption.
Last edit: 20 Aug 2023 21:03 by Soeley.

More
20 Aug 2023 20:46 #250415 by Micheal
Replied by Micheal on topic Gen 4 SZ4 tyre choice
Thanks but we've tried General Grabber 215/75 R 15 before and they gave awful vibration on A roads at about 45mph

More
20 Aug 2023 21:16 #250416 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Gen 4 SZ4 tyre choice
In my experience BFGoodrich tyres have the toughest construction without losing compliance and road manners. We've run several sets on various work vehicles and the only time we ever get punctures is from unavoidable things like nails. They also last for a very long time, and hold their value if you sell them as part worn.

More
20 Aug 2023 21:17 #250417 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Gen 4 SZ4 tyre choice

Thanks but we've tried General Grabber 215/75 R 15 before and they gave awful vibration on A roads at about 45mph

You either had defective tyres, improper installation or they weren't properly balanced, I've been running the Grabber A/T X in 215/75R15 since mid 2021 (so about two years now) and have had ZERO issues at any speed, personally I think they were a huge improvement over the stock Dunlop GrandTrek AT20s.

Any way, the choice of tire brand & size is yours, as I suggested earlier light truck or LT tyres have reinforced sidewalls as compared to the P or passenger car tires that the Jimny comes with.

I am not running LT tires on any of my vehicles at this time, however, I have run them in the past and vibration has never been an issue on any vehicle I have run them on.

More
20 Aug 2023 21:37 #250419 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Gen 4 SZ4 tyre choice

Not quite sure what you are meaning. Are you suggesting the size or tyre type was the issue? Either way I think it is more a matter of tyre balancing or the unlikely event of a defective tyre.

Have done around 17,000 miles on my 215/75 AT's and also had them hitting the speed limiter. Which is just over 100mph on the tacho. No vibrations at all.

On the flip side, I have 33" General Grabber X3's on a Land Rover, saw over 90mph on the speedo earlier today. No tyre vibrations either.

• Jonesie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Aug 2023 07:25 #250425 by Jonesie
Replied by Jonesie on topic Gen 4 SZ4 tyre choice
I have run BF Goodrich tyres for 30 years Michael and the All Terrain version sound like the ones best suited to you.

The stock Bridgestone’s are noisy ( as all Bridgestones seem to be ), have quite a low level of grip once you start to leave anything that isn’t tarmac and clog very quickly.

I currently have a set of BFG All Terrain / Evo Corse on this forum in the For Sale section.

More
21 Aug 2023 11:51 - 21 Aug 2023 11:51 #250430 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Gen 4 SZ4 tyre choice
I see you made a similar post regarding sidewall punctures a couple of years ago. You must be getting through a lot of tyres!
Last edit: 21 Aug 2023 11:51 by Busta.

More
22 Aug 2023 19:10 #250451 by Micheal
Yes, that's right (it's the wife's car) she used to get very frequent punctures on the standard tyres but the General Grabber 215/75 R 15 are much improved but vibrate badly around 45mph on A roads. We've had the balance looked at but didn't make any difference. No vibration on standard tyres.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlines

More
22 Aug 2023 19:20 #250452 by Micheal
I have had BFG Mud Terrain and All Terrain tyres on my defenders and they seem to last forever and I don't remember ever having a puncture. How much do you want for those wheel/tyres? thanks

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds