BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

My DDiS (diesel) Jimny is going away ... use me while you can

More
20 Apr 2018 05:37 - 20 Apr 2018 05:39 #191910 by Bosanek
I have just bought a much newer ordinary petrol Jimny made in 2013 with 90 000 traveled kms.

This means that I will (hopefully) sell my old diesel DDiS Jimny quite soon, especially because I bought the new one on loaned money.

Anyway, if anyone who reads this needs some first-hand checks or tests on my DDiS in order to give them some advice about theirs or for any other purpose, use me while you still can.

Ask me either here or by writing a private message (but here would be better as others can see the info as well).
Last edit: 20 Apr 2018 05:39 by Bosanek.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2018 05:44 #191911 by Bosanek
By the way, I am having some regrets about the purchase.

Yes, the newer car is much nicer, much less (ab)used, no rust, much smoother running. has some more equipment than mine, has all the standard parts as opposed to the DDiS, and therefore should be statistically much more reliable and dependable, and much more straightforward to repair especially regarding the engine.
It will eat more fuel though, but that will be partially offset by lower engine maintenance costs and by the pure peace of mind. It's not that the diesel was that much troublesome, but it does for example have a tendency to light up a RED STOP engine light now and then in the middle of nowhere in a forest, for no particular reason (nothing is malfunctioning). It's just that the injection system was not designed to be driven in 1st gear for an entire hour in a row for example ...

However, the petrol engine feels so gutless compared to diesel. After a while I realized that I was driving it wrong, and that I need to hit it hard on the throttle to make it pull. Only above 3000 RPM would it have any usefulness. OK, that was me then.

But then I went down a rather steep street, which I used to go down in 1st gear 2WD Hi just nicely on engine braking in my DDiS. In the petrol, it began to accelerate so much downhill that I just had to assist with the brakes. I guess that is where the difference between 110 Nm and 200 Nm of torque shows ...
Is there any driving technique which can make the engine braking power of a petrol be a bit more comparable to diesel's? I'm just outright scared to go down steep hills in the petrol Jimny off-road ...

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Apr 2018 06:00 #191913 by Lambert
As long as you have it in gear touching the brake when descending a hill isn't really a problem since the engine and gearbox are keeping the wheels turning, it requires finesse and practice and the confidence to get off the brake and on the gas instantly if it does start to slide in order to regain control. Best to find a practice hill with a good clear escape route and get used to it.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
21 Apr 2018 06:13 #191967 by Bosanek
Would a bigger M series engine (like the 1.5l M15A VVT from Ignis or Swift) make a significant difference regarding engine's pulling power on road and uphill, and regarding engine braking downhill? That engine (I think) has 100 HP compared to Jimny's 86 HP. That is around 20% increase.

Would the fuel consumption increase?

Also, what about M16A VVT from SX4 or Liana?

• Lambert
    Registered
More
21 Apr 2018 09:36 #191976 by Lambert
By most accounts the bigger m series engines aren't as rev happy as the 13 which for me is a problem. I like the way the m13a vvt comes alive above 4000 rpm and keeps wailing away up to 6500. Supposedly the bigger ones flatten off after about 5000. I'm sure that the extra torque will make them get down the road better but I don't think that suits the character of the Jimny. Others disagree.

More
21 Apr 2018 17:07 #191989 by kirkynut
It's the compression that gives the engine braking and I don't think the extra 300 cc's of a 1.6 will make much difference.

The low gearing of a Rocklobster transfer box or Trail Gears reduction gearset massively help. My Rocklobster is awesome for creating engine braking.

So there is a solution. Just not a cheap one.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
22 Apr 2018 05:37 #192010 by Bosanek
So it's quite normal to "ram" the M13A engine way over 5000 RPM!?

Coming over from diesels, I am quite shocked and a bit terrified to do it, as I've rarely touched 4000 RPM on any diesel. Over that they all just scream in agony.

I suppose that I should not rev the M13A engine over let's say 2500-3000 RPM just after starting (while it is still cold) until it warms up after 5-10 minutes? Or can I?

Also, when descending downhill on engine braking with M13A engine, up to how high RPMs can I let it brake and scream until I should begin assisting with the foot brake, to prevent engine blowout?

More
22 Apr 2018 08:42 - 22 Apr 2018 08:45 #192015 by mlines
With any engine showing them some mechanical sympathy is good, so let them warm up before revving them hard.

You will have to get used to revving the petrol engine high. It's where they are happy. Peak power is around 6000 rpm, peak torque is around 4000 rpm.

Use a good quality oil and change it regularly and the engine will last. If not then sludge will form at the rear of the head ( No.4 cylinder) and they can seize.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 22 Apr 2018 08:45 by mlines.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
22 Apr 2018 08:56 #192016 by Lambert
When I first took on Ermintrude as a daily drive she had spent 18 months being driven at not much more than 3500 rpm and was a slug, wouldn't rev cleanly above 4000 and wasn't capable of more than about 175 miles on a tank of fuel. Within 3 months she revs clean and regularly gets twice as far on a tank of fuel and has done for the last 60000 miles. Don't drive it like a tractor, drive it like a sports car.

• Stumpjumper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Apr 2018 17:45 #192031 by Stumpjumper
The above was also true in my purchase. Hesitant to rev beyond 3500 ...... after a full service and a change of scenery..... Norfolk to Dorset.... it revs like the proverbial....it just needs care & attention, like all quality pieces of engineering, a right little gem of an engine.....

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds