BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

rust

• doddy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Apr 2018 11:47 #191131 by doddy
rust was created by doddy
hello

I have recently bought a 2007 jimny , I am quite shocked about the amount of rust , when I bought it had a new mot on it , to get through it the original owner had to have some welding done.

I had a good look under it this morning and there is quite a bit that will need attention . I don't know what they are called but the triangular plates on the chassis that hold another thing that I don't know the name of was quite bad , I scraped the loose bits off with a screwdriver and applied rust cure and painted

are they all prone to rust or is it just mine ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
01 Apr 2018 12:20 #191135 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic rust
Fairly standard. Take the headlights out, its usually a bad spot behind them.

Buzzweld make some good stuff (www.buzzweld.co.uk)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• doddy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Apr 2018 12:50 #191136 by doddy
Replied by doddy on topic rust
noticed that bit as well

More
01 Apr 2018 15:15 - 01 Apr 2018 15:17 #191142 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic rust
Yes they all do that, its not just yours. I looked at many Jimnys before I purchased ours, even a 2016 model, and they all had rust. Welded points rust, the front area and the rear area above the exhaust. It was quit a shock at how poor the protection was, but the steel on the chassis is thick, so at least it will be a few years before they turn to dust :laugh:
I purchased as new as I could go (2009) and its going to need some paint and wax in a few places this year to hold it off, still only surface rust. Just purchased some BUZZWELD rust encapsulate paint, appear to be good stuff, very thick and plenty of health warnings which in my opinion all the best paint products should have, none of the water based rubbish. This one even makes puppies cry :whistle:

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 01 Apr 2018 15:17 by Scimike.

• Jimx5
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Apr 2018 16:05 #191143 by Jimx5
Replied by Jimx5 on topic rust
I must admit i've been very lucky, mines an 04reg with 32,000mls and it is almost rust free.
I am spending most weekends when weather allows removing wheels and suspension rods painting as i go.

• doddy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Apr 2018 17:40 #191146 by doddy
Replied by doddy on topic rust
I am off to Halfords tomorrow to buy a lot more rust cure , and a lot more hammerite

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Apr 2018 17:55 #191148 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic rust
My 07 wasn't to bad but I wanted to do it any way, I gave myself about three days to do it, put it on axel stands wheels off, exhaust back box off, a good jet hose, good stiff brush, then i coated it twice with hammerite and waxoil think I done it about 2 years ago and this is it now considering I jet wash a lot it hasn't done to bad, but I have herd a lot of good things about the buzz weld.
It's all in the prep :)

Attachments:

More
01 Apr 2018 18:00 #191149 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic rust
If you're going to get stuck in
I would advise you remove the rear seats and plastics out the back
Also if you're feeling brave remove rear bumper and rear plastic arches :ohmy:
Have a look through my thread below

Jack

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Apr 2018 22:44 #191165 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic rust
And if you do that add some more sound proofing

• Stumpjumper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2018 09:06 #191174 by Stumpjumper
Replied by Stumpjumper on topic rust
As below:dry:
Attachments:

More
07 Apr 2018 20:19 #191420 by Me and my Jimny
Replied by Me and my Jimny on topic rust
All of the above, holes in the boot floor in front of the wheel arch, behind the head light and all the arches are getting rubbed and kurust and sprayed

here's an extra one, check the body mounts. My one in front of the rear wheel has holes in too.

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds