BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Any help appreciated Roof tent stability on raised jimny

• Daz-5615
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Nov 2017 14:00 #186752 by Daz-5615
Help
Was wondering if anyone had any advice to adding a roof tent to a jimney wich has been raised a meter off the ground 4 inch Spring lift 2 inch body lift with bigger wheels

I've not bought the jimney yet or test drove it but it must be fairly unstable due to the height
Would anyone be able to advice in their opinion would the jimney be to high to add a roof tent ? Thanks
I've kind of given up with the last jimney I've still got as steering and gear stick still wobble at random times so am looking to buy this other one some of you may know it it has wam number plate and crawler gear fitted by rod stood being its jacked up so high I was wondering the odds of it tipping over ?? Especially if I fitted a roof tent ? Please any comments appreciated
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bowji john
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Nov 2017 14:10 - 26 Nov 2017 15:57 #186753 by bowji john
They are rather heavy - at least the eezi awn I had was - around 80 kg at a guess

Especially when you add the weight of the roof rack

Not had much experience with Jimnies but I dunno if it could handle it - especially as coil springs don't handle weight well
Last edit: 26 Nov 2017 15:57 by bowji john.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Nov 2017 18:16 - 26 Nov 2017 18:16 #186758 by Daniel30
I don’t know if the roof would take the weight
Some sort of rack then the tent, then the occupants
Last edit: 26 Nov 2017 18:16 by Daniel30.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Nov 2017 19:06 #186762 by 1066Boy
I did think about a roof tent a bit ago but after a bit of investigation I went off the idea. :(

• bowji john
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Nov 2017 19:14 #186763 by bowji john
As a general idea they are fine

Keep you off the ground - away from the creepy crawlies (Chongalulu's)

But drive you mad in the wind and pretty obvious that you are camping if you are in an area intolerant of 'itinerants'.

Nothings perfect in this world and these are pretty good - perhaps not for a jimny though ?? :).

More
26 Nov 2017 22:13 #186771 by Busta
It's only going to make the stability worse. Unless you plan on overlanding through Africa I would question the need for a roof tent anyway. Heavy, expensive, bulky, hard to fit and remove. You end up either taking it off and never bothering to put it back on or leaving it on all year where it rots away, wastes fuel, ruins the handling etc. etc. Buy a £100 tent and put it in the boot like everyone else.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1066Boy

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds