BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

all sorted, update on central locking not unlockin

• nigelg
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jul 2013 10:35 #76826 by nigelg
for those of you who didn't read my other thread, had a problem where if the Jimny had been standing for a while (like over night) the unlock function would not work unless the lock button was pressed first

had a look around on the web and found one other with the same problem, which had started only after Suzuki replaced the key fob battery as it had died. It didn't state the fix, but there was a link to some company

however, in the above case, Suzuki hadn't used the recommended battery, but had used a cr2303 (or something like that), but what the heck, still a 3V battery

had to get a replacement kettle on Wednesday and while at Asda, had a chat to the guys in the shoe repair place, who can not only do watches, but have all the gear for testing key fobs too. Explained the problem, key fob tested and was sending out signals on both lock and unlock functions. Took out the battery (knowing he only had 20 seconds to test it)
and it was good, in the green, but on the lower end of it. The only thing they cant measure is the signal strength6

charged a tenner for a new cr1616 battery and hey presto

yes, this really was the problem, a low battery, but not understanding why the symptoms, ie lock would seem to wake it up then the unlock would work.

he also said there were about 30 different types of 3V batteries available and I'm thinking that's why the other guys didn't work with a new battery, not enough oooomph in it as the wrong type

so there you have it, live and learn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jul 2013 10:48 #76830 by markyp2000
Glad u sorted it but a tenner for a battery like that i wouldnt go there again

More
12 Jul 2013 10:54 - 12 Jul 2013 11:08 #76831 by gilburton
What's this 20 seconds thing? My battery(CR 1616) was out for hours and it was no problem?? 08 reg.
A good brand battery can be had for around a fiver! Other unbranded much less ;)
It went again a few months later so I assumed it was cheap batteries but I removed the rubber button cover and cleaned it although I didn't see any evidence of dirt I also carefully prised up the tiny "T" shaped earth contact under the battery and it was all ok again.
Sweat or body grease might be the culprit?? Try not to handle the contact surfaces on the battery or clean using the swabs you get for cleaning glasses. ;)
The rubber button parts are easily available on ebay.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)
Last edit: 12 Jul 2013 11:08 by gilburton.

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds