BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

• Biasmechanic
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2013 21:37 #70306 by Biasmechanic
Newbie was created by Biasmechanic
Hi there just thought id introduce myself.
My names Ash and I'm from East Sussex.
After a few years of messing about with sports cars I decided I need something a little bit bigger. I'm the sort of person who likes my car to have some character which I find most modern cars lacking. (the newest car I've owned until now was a 1992 nova.) After looking around I came across the jimny and decided it had the sort of character most cars of its age lack and it was more importantly, different.

After deciding on a jim I started looking around. I decided on a hardtop as I've got an mx5 for summer usage. Eventually I found one locally from a friend of my dad which had been in his family for most of its life and was well looked after unfortunately it was a soft top. After looking at it was too good to miss so a deal was struck and I go to pick my first jimny up Friday. Idea is to clean it up and use it as my daily and for a bit of green laning.

Anyway enough of my yacking, Hello to you all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• elbo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2013 21:46 #70307 by elbo
Replied by elbo on topic Newbie
Welcome aboard

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2013 21:50 #70308 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: Newbie
Welcome. I'm from Redhill, Surrey. What part of Sussex you from!

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 May 2013 07:52 #70317 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic Newbie
Welcome this fine forum it’s good to have you join us ................ ;)

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 May 2013 11:25 #70327 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic Newbie
welcome aboard!

Soft tops are loads better, so you did good :woohoo:

• Biasmechanic
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 May 2013 22:24 #70582 by Biasmechanic
Replied by Biasmechanic on topic Newbie
Thanks for the welcome guys. I live in the outskirts of Eastbourne.

Picked the Jim up Friday and I'm chuffed. Its a 2000 soft top in red with 90k miles. Has been sitting for a year but started first time and runs perfectly. Before coming off the road it had new cambelt, wheel bearings, king pin bearings and a monsoon roof. The cars in pretty good condition with only a small bit of rust in the boot floor. I put it in for its MOT expecting the worse as it had been sitting. It failed on the two front to rear brake lines and got advisories on the two rear lines and the fuel lines being corroded, the guy i had bought it off had warned me they might need doing so Im reasonably happy there's nothing else that needs doing.

Now after playing I've got a few questions.

1. How hard is it to do the brake lines? I've just done all the lines on my mx5 but that's some what simpler only having one front to rear line. It was also made easier by a kit being available with all the lines cut and flared complete with the fittings. Is there anywhere that sell a kit like this with the lines ready made just needing to be bent to shape and fitted for the jim?

2. Having done plenty of research before buying a jim i know the engines are fairly tough and reasonably revy. Obviously being only a 1300 it needs to be pushed to get up to speed but is the engine tough enough to cope with being taken to the red line reasonably often? I know its no race car but it would be nice to get where I'm going!

3. How does the front roof section open? I've got instructions that say how to lower the rear section but for the front section it says refer to the owners manual which I've looked at and seems to be only about hardtop models! I've worked out the catches but does the top just fold over on itself? or does it fold differently as at the moment it still covers half the aperture with it open.

Thanks for any help!

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 May 2013 22:36 - 12 May 2013 22:37 #70586 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: Newbie
Brake lines are fiddly on any motor but on a J quite easy because its high up. Get some ramps to make it a "luxury" job :lol:

As for the engine, it works best between 3 - 4k rpm which seems to be the sweet spot.
Last edit: 12 May 2013 22:37 by GuardianAngel.

More
12 May 2013 22:37 #70587 by supergaz
Replied by supergaz on topic Re: Newbie
Welcome to Bigjimny ;-)

More
14 May 2013 20:37 #70723 by dirtydogz
Replied by dirtydogz on topic Re: Newbie
Welcome to Big Jimny.
The front soft top roof folds as in the photos.
Hope this helps you.

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Attachments:

• UKDAN
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jul 2013 23:30 #76056 by UKDAN
Replied by UKDAN on topic Re:Newbie

Biasmechanic wrote: Thanks for the welcome guys. I live in the outskirts of Eastbourne.

2. Having done plenty of research before buying a jim i know the engines are fairly tough and reasonably revy. Obviously being only a 1300 it needs to be pushed to get up to speed but is the engine tough enough to cope with being taken to the red line reasonably often? I know its no race car but it would be nice to get where I'm going!

Thanks for any help!

You can red line it but when you do, you can watch the fuel needle move in the opposite direction & quickly too.

Dan

More
04 Jul 2013 14:25 #76112 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Newbie
Hello. I am sure you are going to enjoy your Jimny. It was the little Suzukis that pulled me into owning nothing but 4x4s. I had a Landrover 2a and it nearly put me off for life. So MX5..........watch out. ;)

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• jonathan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jul 2013 11:12 #76331 by jonathan
Replied by jonathan on topic Newbie
welcome but why do you need to red line it ,i have been in the motor trade as a tech since 1978 only boys red line just because they no no better ,if it is to be red lined you need to keep the oil clean and changed regualy so that is half normal service time and you need a good grade of oil and do not red line unless the engine is at normal engine temp (hot)

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds