BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A section for Vitara and SJ owners.
If you have not yet upgraded to a Jimny then you can discuss your current Suzuki 4x4 here!

AllGrip Select (S-Cross/Vitara)

More
02 Apr 2021 14:02 - 02 Apr 2021 14:03 #234206 by furo
Hi guys, 

I've just bought a 2017 S-Cross AllGrip as a family car. I still have my 2004 Jimny, and I had a 5-door petrol Grand Vitara for a year, so this is my third Suzuki 4WD system.

I understand basically how it works - auto, snow/mud, sport and lock all seem to essentially automatically engage the rear wheels as traction is lost, but with varying degrees of eagerness. I had thought 'lock' mode would equally split the power between the front and rear, but it seems there is still a degree of slip.

I have really struggled to find detailed technical information on how the system works, and would really appreciate any information that you have!  

Many thanks 

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Apr 2021 14:03 by furo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2021 18:26 - 02 Apr 2021 18:33 #234208 by facade
I'm fairly sure it is the Renault system that they use in the Duster, Qasquai xtrail etc. It is similar to the haldex used in VW, Audi etc.

There is an oil filled multiplate clutch in the propshaft (like a motorbike) and an electromagnet rotates a cam that forces the plates together. (In a haldex, the plates are forced together hydraulically, there is a pump and accumulator attached)

The Plan is- when in auto, there is no drive to the back, and when the front wheels start going faster than the backs it tickles that clutch until it gets the back wheels to catch up to the front.

It can go from zero (apart from fluid drag) to 100% lock in theory, the com-pu-tah controls the clutch, and the knob on the dashboard alters the parameters, like how quickly it attacks and releases and how much speed difference it permits. (I've no idea how it knows when to release, probably it just slacks off and winds on until either the fronts go say 5% faster than the back or it gets to free)

If you put new tyres on the back, and worn ones on the front it will overheat the clutches as it continually tries to make the back wheels go as fast as the fronts.

EDIT :  www.awdwiki.com/en/suzuki/

Looks like I was fairly right, apart from the mode knob also brings the brake draggers into play to control wheelspin, like a poor mans difflock on each axle.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 02 Apr 2021 18:33 by facade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY, furo

More
02 Apr 2021 20:06 - 02 Apr 2021 20:06 #234209 by furo
Thank you very much Facade, that's helpful.

That awdwiki link suggests that the 'lock' mode is a true 50:50 lock, so that's great. And it sounds pretty good how it controls wheelspin in the snow mode.

Thanks for the heads up about small differences in tyre diameter (eg worn on the front) - I'll need to keep an eye on that. When I bought it the fronts had just been replaced, so that must have happened a little already - hopefully not to any significant degree.

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)
Last edit: 02 Apr 2021 20:06 by furo.

More
03 Apr 2021 09:01 #234213 by Busta
I don't mean to sound patronising, but have you read the manual? Suzuki are generally quite good at explaining the drive system and how and when to use it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: furo

More
03 Apr 2021 20:29 #234217 by furo
Hi Busta,

Yes I read the manual first! It does a good job of explaining when to use each mode in basic terms, but it doesn't give any technical information on how exactly it all works. I don't need to know, but I'd like to!  

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds