BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A section for Vitara and SJ owners.
If you have not yet upgraded to a Jimny then you can discuss your current Suzuki 4x4 here!

Vitara 4X4 help

• dirtylanes
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jun 2016 07:37 #167929 by dirtylanes
Vitara 4X4 help was created by dirtylanes
Hello all, I have recently brought a 2004 T/D Vitara and am very pleased with it but I have a fault with the 4x4 bit. If I move the lever
into 4 wheel drive the light on the dash starts to flash and the pump behind the front bumper is then running, I haven't checked the pipes or if there is any blow or is it suck from the motor yet but my question is: Does it work on air blowing into the diff or is it operated by vacuum, also what is it that tell the light on the dash to stay on( ie not to flashing) I am still trying to find the correct manual for this Vitara or some info. on the operation of said system but if anyone on the site can give me a clue as the sequence of the system or where to get the correct book of words that would be great. Thank you. John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2016 13:28 #167953 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Vitara 4X4 help
Blow not suck ;)

Not sure why the light would flash though? Presumably the same as the Jimny to say it hasn't engaged four wheel drive? Which would indicate an air leak somewhere?

In that original diff picture I posted, and the reference to the zip tied one, was because they are unreliable at engaging, hence why some owners lock them up and just rely on the transfer box's front prop being engaged (and fit free wheel hubs as well).

If you're going to be fitting larger tyres you could always swap the diffs out for Vitara ones? Available in earlier <'96 at 4.125:1 (41 teeth on crown wheel and 8 on the pinion or later '4U2' etc are 3.875:1 (39 teeth on crown wheel and 8 on the pinnion)

• JamJim
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jun 2016 22:15 #168002 by JamJim
Replied by JamJim on topic Vitara 4X4 help
I have 04' 3 door Vitara with a flashing 4x4 light..... 4WD system is working well though, not sure what it's about.

• dirtylanes
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jun 2016 17:40 #168033 by dirtylanes
Replied by dirtylanes on topic Vitara 4X4 help
OK thanks guys for the replies, I will try mine to see if the 4wheel drive is engaging with the light flashing but I have read that it has not engaged unless you have a steady light! Has any body else any thoughts on this please. I will post my finding when I get the time to get into it but I am a bit busy with other work just now. Thanks again

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds