BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A section for Vitara and SJ owners.
If you have not yet upgraded to a Jimny then you can discuss your current Suzuki 4x4 here!

Oil Consumption Issues ( F10A in a SJ410 )

• Grease_Factory
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Nov 2015 04:05 - 05 Nov 2015 04:19 #155379 by Grease_Factory
Oil Consumption Issues ( F10A in a SJ410 ) was created by Grease_Factory
* I apologize if this belongs only in the SJ410 area on the site. I didn't see a subsection for technical info in the SJ subforum*

Hello everyone.

First time SJ410 owner and new to the world of Suzuki aside from my craptastic winter beater '95 swift and my '74 GT380 and '76 A100 2 stroke motorcycles.

I dragged my new to me Jimny home from a guy who was bush-banging it until he clogged the carb with sediment and he gave up on it. I managed to clean up the carb, make new gaskets and reinstall it without trouble, and now it runs like a top except for a pretty ominous cloud of blue out the tail pipe under load or free Rev.

I noticed that the PCV setup was not installed on the engine properly (or at least not how I would have done it) and it had a massive vacuum leak causing difficulty idling and a bog on initial tip-in. I have since swapped the PCV system to that of a tube running from the coffee-can intake to the valve cover to provide a mild vacuum to pull crank vapor into the engine instead of the plate between the carb and intake manifold as it was creating such a vacuum that it sucked the valve cover gasket in at one of the corners.

Since changing the routing of the PCV hose I have noticed that there is oil leaking from the dip stick, and there is a lot of blow-by if I open the oil fill cap. Obviously my rings are worn and I wouldn't doubt that my valve stem seals are shot. It looks like a rebuild is in order, so I have began a healthy weight lifting regime at the local gym as I don't currently own an engine hoist after my last one from Princess Auto decided to bend a leg under the weight of a big V8 haha.

My question is regarding engine rebuild kits. I am not new to spinning wrenches, and I have a engine machine shop to assist me in block and head work. I however have never ripped into one of these little F10a 1.0L 4cyls. Normally I would say I need to pull it all apart prior to ordering new rings and possibly pistons. However, in your wealth of experience, for an original engine, what is common for over bore? I want, if possible to order everything now and have the machine work done to match my new pistons and rings. Also, are there any good kits or companies that offer a total kit? I have seen several on Ebay, but am skeptical since some of the ads offer little info as to what exactly is included. Are there any snags or things I should double check while doing this repair?

Thanks for letting me join and I hope this forum is as good as the Google discription made it out to be!

Here is a pic of my freshly reworked fuel delivery system for fun. (Pics of my Jimny to come once I make it a little less of an eye sore)

File Attachment:
Last edit: 05 Nov 2015 04:19 by Grease_Factory.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2015 16:56 - 05 Nov 2015 16:56 #155437 by kirkynut
Hello Sir.

My suggestion would be to head on over to www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/forum1 and ask on there. You will find a great deal more knowledge on SJ's and the like on there than you will on this forum.

Although many of us on here have owned an SJ in our time, you are unlikely to find the answers to those questions on here I think.

You are welcome on this fine forum too though!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 05 Nov 2015 16:56 by kirkynut.

• zukiara
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Nov 2015 21:32 #155497 by zukiara
Replied by zukiara on topic Oil Consumption Issues ( F10A in a SJ410 )
Welcome,
I always rebuilt my LJs +40 over which all had 410 engines fitted and have the crank ground at same time with the engineering guys supplying the shells to what they ground the crank too,
Hope this helps.
Eeeee.

• saboor73
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Nov 2015 09:12 #157164 by saboor73
Replied by saboor73 on topic Oil Consumption Issues ( F10A in a SJ410 )
F10a have a common problem of tearing tappet cover seal and that result in oil in carb check that other than that have a compression test done

More
27 Nov 2015 20:56 #157351 by Rhinoman

Grease_Factory wrote: Since changing the routing of the PCV hose I have noticed that there is oil leaking from the dip stick, and there is a lot of blow-by if I open the oil fill cap.

I would check that the PCV valve is working properly, if its stuck closed then you will have oil consumption problems. The compression test is a very good suggestion too.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds