BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

New LCV

More
16 Oct 2023 11:28 #251477 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic New LCV
I guess it's a personal thing but I look at that and think it would look better a bit lower. There's no benefit to making a car taller than it needs to be.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2023 13:10 #251479 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic New LCV
I have the Trail Master 50mm lift - comfort - and Tonka looks good with it and even better with the BFG 215 A/T tyres.
I would be wary of the sport mode Trail-Master set-up as in my opinion the comfort mode is bordering on a wee bit harsh. I will be looking at a softer, probably adjustable, alternative sooner rather than later.
Anybody with views on the shock. issue?

Cheers.

Roger

More
16 Oct 2023 14:05 #251481 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic New LCV

Not planning on doing serious offroading, more for visual purposes only. I think the OME 40mm lift kit is small enough that the wheels won't look lost, but big enough to make it look better. 

I had a Gen 3 previously with 3" lift and 235/75 15 tyres. It looked great.

Are you not planning to lift yours?

I do like the look of the OME lift. I like the panhard relocation bracket too.

Yes, plan ok lifting mine. But I do off road it. I’m torn between a 2” lift or a 3” lift. Not really wanting to jack it up too high. Although I’ve got beached a couple of times. The Jimny certainly lacks ground clearance compared to a Land Rover. But I’m more interested in suspension travel and flex gains.

I like the look of the JimntBits Black Raptor Premium kits. Although I’d probably add the panhard relocation bracket too. But I’m undecided how hardcore I want to go with it. I know when off road I’ll wish I went for the 3” and a lot taller tyres. But the Jimny is also my main road car and I do have a fairly heavily modded Land Rover should I want to do anything extreme off road.

Personally wasn’t keen on some design aspects of the Trailmaster kit. OME is limited in what it can do off road. But probably makes more sense as a road going setup with improved clearance. I don’t know anything about the Pedders kit part from Martin/James’s comments on here. It wasn’t one on my radar.

More
16 Oct 2023 14:34 #251485 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic New LCV
I'm sure you already appreciate that a lift kit will not increase clearance under the diif. For that you need larger dia. tyres.

Roger

More
16 Oct 2023 16:20 #251489 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic New LCV

I'm sure you already appreciate that a lift kit will not increase clearance under the diif. For that you need larger dia. tyres.

Roger

I have been wondering about what a lift would mean as to what grounds first, but you beat me to it.

OK here is the though train:
- A lift doesn't change the axle height
- As the diff and axles are a solid piece a lift doesn't change the diff height, only tyre/wheel size is going to do that.

A lift does however, increase the clearance of the chassis, radius arm mounting points and gives more clearance in the wheel arches.

I don't think I have ever hit a diff on my Jimny, but I have hit the radius arm mounting points before.  I would hit the diff if I have both wheels in ruts and the centre is high (like a well worn track).  I would hit the radius arm mounting points going over a sharp crest of a hill.

So my tyre change from 205/70R15 to 215/75R15 made the tyre diameter go from 26.3" to 27.7" almost 1.5" increase in diff height. 

Hey, Hey I have a lifted Jimny.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
16 Oct 2023 17:09 #251492 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic New LCV
School boy error, I should have taken the radius not the diameter, so actually I have a 0.7” lift.

Oh well back to near standard and I don’t have to alert my insurance company.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
16 Oct 2023 19:17 - 16 Oct 2023 19:22 #251501 by Wailin
Replied by Wailin on topic New LCV

I have the Trail Master 50mm lift - comfort - and Tonka looks good with it and even better with the BFG 215 A/T tyres.
I would be wary of the sport mode Trail-Master set-up as in my opinion the comfort mode is bordering on a wee bit harsh. I will be looking at a softer, probably adjustable, alternative sooner rather than later.
Anybody with views on the shock. issue?

Cheers.

Roger, I had the Avo adjustable shocks with eibach springs on my Gen 3 and they were superb. 16 points of adjustment from stiff to soft. I had them set roughly in the middle and never touched them again as the ride was perfect. Nice, plush and not too wallowy in the corners. 

I bought them from Jimnybits at a good discount at the time a few years ago. Highly recommended.
Last edit: 16 Oct 2023 19:22 by Wailin.

More
16 Oct 2023 19:20 #251502 by Wailin
Replied by Wailin on topic New LCV

Busta post=251477

I guess it's a personal thing but I look at that and think it would look better a bit lower. There's no benefit to making a car taller than it needs to be.

I think this might be the first post I've seen where someone suggests lowering a Jimny!

More
16 Oct 2023 19:26 #251503 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic New LCV

Roger

I have been wondering about what a lift would mean as to what grounds first, but you beat me to it.

OK here is the though train:
- A lift doesn't change the axle height
- As the diff and axles are a solid piece a lift doesn't change the diff height, only tyre/wheel size is going to do that.

A lift does however, increase the clearance of the chassis, radius arm mounting points and gives more clearance in the wheel arches.

I don't think I have ever hit a diff on my Jimny, but I have hit the radius arm mounting points before.  I would hit the diff if I have both wheels in ruts and the centre is high (like a well worn track).  I would hit the radius arm mounting points going over a sharp crest of a hill.

So my tyre change from 205/70R15 to 215/75R15 made the tyre diameter go from 26.3" to 27.7" almost 1.5" increase in diff height. 

Hey, Hey I have a lifted Jimny.

Robin
Some good questions.

I come from off roading Land Rovers and as a rule in an 88 or a 90 it is very rare and pretty hard to get beached or grounded or any sort. For their given wheelbases, they run quite tall tyres.

The Jimny actually has a longer wheelbase than a Series II or Series III 88 and runs much smaller tyres. So you stand far more chance of getting beached or hitting the ground in a Jimny.

My JB74w is currently on stock suspension and ever so slightly taller 215/75R15 tyres, but in theory that is only about 5.5mm of lift...

I have a winch bumper which causes the front to sag a little. And I do have rock sliders and a transmission slider. Although I wouldn't say it is heavily laden, no roof rack, no boxes in the back etc.

I've found that on a lot of off road places I've taken it, that the radius arms catch a lot, occasionally the transfer case (or now skid plate), the front recovery point often gets fully buried and acts like a plough. The front bumper can also impact the ground, far less with the winch bumper I have now, although it still does. But the stock bumper caught a lot before swapping it. The rear bumper seems fine though, not had any issues with departure angle.

On paper the Jimny is highly capable and it is in reality, but quite a few things cause it to rub its underside that wouldn't phase a Land Rover.

Diff clearance is an issue too, recently got stuck on the diffs, I do have diff guards, so technically slightly reduced clearance. But I didn't even think it was an obstacle, my Land Rover would have driven through it without batting an eyelid. I even drove in slow with the thought of reversing out, but it stuck fast and needed a tow to get it out.

While a suspension lift won't solve under the diff clearance, it will increase every other aspect that the Jimny bottoms out. Taller tyres are an option, but increases the likelihood of needing a regear too. I think a 205/80R16 would be a pretty good size. But means new rims too. I like narrow tyres and most other options end up being a bit fat. 235/75R15 is the same height, just wider. Then you have 30.9.5R15 or maybe even 31.10.50R15, but again getting fat. 245/75R16 another option, although I'm sure once over 30" tall a re-gear will be a must. I'd think you might just get away if you keep it under 30". Next jump is probably a 7.50 x 16 maybe a 235/85R16, which would bring it on par with a standard Land Rover.

More
16 Oct 2023 21:22 #251507 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic New LCV

Busta post=251477

I think this might be the first post I've seen where someone suggests lowering a Jimny!
I was looking at Jline's lifted Jimnys, so I'm talking about returning it to standard height rather than lowering it. That has always been my preference if the wheels fit. I've run 215/75r15s on all my Jimnys and I've got everywhere I've ever needed to without needing a lift. As 300 says a lift does improve clearance in some areas, but it doesn't stop you getting stuck on the diffs in ruts left by bigger heavier vehicles, and that is the crux of the Jimny!

More
17 Oct 2023 19:29 #251536 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic New LCV
My lift video is now out

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Soeley, Wailin

More
17 Oct 2023 19:49 #251537 by jlines
Replied by jlines on topic New LCV
I went for looks rather than for any practical or offroading purposes. I like the Jacked up look on 4x4s so thats why I lifted them. I also prefer the ride quality with a different suspension setup so that was another reason. I prefer how the lifted Jimnys ride compared to our stock car which feels more crashy over bumps.

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds