× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

PJ's 2020 Brisk Blue JB74 SZ5 Thread

More
23 Jul 2020 16:02 #225517 by Jimny-Phil
Hi Guys (and Gals?)

Been lurking on this forum for some time, reading all of your very informative posts.

I purchased my brand new 2020 Jimny in February and thought that it was about time that I reciprocated and posted something for anyone else interested to read

So, to start the thread off, here are a few pics of my Jimny a week or two after I collected it in February

PJ
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2020 17:08 #225519 by Jimny-Phil
I've made a few mods since then, which I'll come on to in a minute, but first a bit about my Jimny owning history

Purchased my first Jimny in November 2015, as a replacement for an ageing Land Rover Discovery 1.

It was a 2007 with about 50,000 miles on the clock

Did a few bits and pieces to this Jimny over the next couple of years, such as:

General Grabber AT 205/75 R15 Tyres
Tow Bar
Window Tints / Sun Shades
Whispbar Aero-X Roof Rail Bars
Roof Fog & Spot Lights
Front Spot Lights
Steering Damper
Front Recovery Points
Air Horn
Various Connectors
CB

By August 2017 I'd just finished the above and set off for a trip around the Outer Hebrides. Unfortunately we didn't make it... well that's not quite true... my wife and I made it... just not in the Jimny!!

Was travelling due north, about 50 miles from home, going round a fairly sharp left hand bend, when a lorry, coming towards me, decided to turn right, straight across in front of me... and stop, blocking the whole road... it was a fairly narrow road and it left me nowhere to go... apart from into the side of him!!

to be continued...

PJ
Attachments:

More
23 Jul 2020 17:18 #225520 by Jimny-Phil
Insurance provided me with an Astra as a loan car and went in that instead

Other driver admitted liability... not that he really had much choice... so insurance paid out quite quickly and when I got back from holiday I was able to purchased this:

PJ
Attachments:

More
23 Jul 2020 17:41 #225521 by Jimny-Phil
Was really happy with my white Jimny and didn't really do any mods to it... it was a low mileage car when I purchased it... only about 6,000 mile on the clock

I thought it looked nice just as it was and so apart from putting the General Grabber tyres on it, which I'd rescued from my now written off previous Jimny, I left it alone... also I think I was irritated that all of my work on the previous car had effectively been wasted and I had little enthusiasm for doing the same again

So as I said, I was perfectly happy with this Jimny... that was of course until the new model was released... I tried out a demonstrator a few days after my dealer got one in... that was it I was hooked, I wanted one... but me being me I didn't really want to purchase a new one and I decided to wait a while and buy a second hand one, maybe a year or so old.

But, you know what they say about the best made plans... things moved on and I saw the waiting list get longer and longer and the rumours started about stopping imports into the UK... so I panicked and added my name to the waiting list for a new one

I'm glad I did and I managed to get hold of mine in February this year... at normal list price... without any of the "funny business", with pricing, that I have read about, from some dealers

Since then I'ver hardly beed anywhere in it, due to the peculiar situation that we are all in, but I have made a few "modifications" and "adjustments" to it since then... nothing too major... just some to make it feel a bit more unique to me

I will therefore now start to add to this thread, firstly with what I've done so far, to get up to date... and then add to it as I do more

Hope some of you find it at least a little interesting... any comments are of course welcome :)

PJ
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
23 Jul 2020 17:50 #225522 by Jimny-Phil
The first few items aren't really things that I did, they came with the car... or at least they were items that I asked the dealer to install, prior to me taking delivery of it

Front and rear mud flaps

Rubber boot liner

Side protection strips

Tow bar

I also purchased a rear view camera upgrade and a bike rack, sturdy enough to carry two electric bikes, from the dealer

PJ
Attachments:

More
23 Jul 2020 17:59 #225523 by Jimny-Phil
First thing I did when I got the car home was to put in the "Jimny" branded mats, that I had also taken out of my white Jimny (they aren't as dirty and faded as they look, its just the light!)

try out the steering lock that I'd purchased, ready and waiting for my new Jimny

and fit the magnetic phone holder that I'd also had in my previous Jimny... I've had one like this in all my cars, for several years now, and really like it... I've not found anything else yet that I prefer, so will stick with this until I do

Reminder to self... remove dust from top of dash before taking photos in the future!

PJ
Attachments:

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 Jul 2020 18:35 #225527 by Lambert
welcome to the forum. Blue is a good choice. Made a bit of a mess of the red one, lucky you weren't hurt.

Dreadnaught (black 2011)

More
23 Jul 2020 20:23 #225532 by Soeley
Hello and welcome, nice introduction. Shame about your old Jimny :( Good news with the new one :)

More
23 Jul 2020 20:36 #225533 by Jimny-Phil
Thanks for the welcome Lambert and Soely

Next up, I continued with easy stuff and added a few window stickers etc

First my faithful little Rhino badge. It originaly came on my poor deceased first Jimny, jumped on to my white one and now lives here

next a little sticker, mainly there just to annoy a good friend of mine who is a Land Rover fanatic

followed by my works sticker... haha I wish

and finally my heritage sticker, that I have on all of the cars I own

PJ
Attachments:

More
23 Jul 2020 21:03 #225534 by Jimny-Phil
Decided that I needed a bit more security... especially after what happened to my first Jimny, so I looked into a DashCam

After looking around I settled on a NextBase 522GW (complete with Nextbase Rear Window Add-on Camera), which I got in a good deal from Halfords and also using a 10% discount card that I have.

Also purchased a 64Gb NextBase Micro SD Card to go with it. NextBase cards are ridiculously expensive, but I had another NextBase camera some years ago which I had no end of problems with. Only solved the problem after replacing the (non-NextBase) SD Card with a NextBase one. Decided to be "safe than sorry" to begin with this time

Can't really see much from the above photo other than to see that the front camera is attached to the inside of the windscreen! It's probably a little too far to the left for where it should really be sited. My understanding is that it should really be completely hidden from the driver, behind the rear view mirror, so as not to be a distraction. I like it where it is though so that by moving my head a little to the left I can easily have a quick check, now and again, that it is recording ok. Maybe a bit paranoid about it, but I've had dash cams before that freeze randomly, for no apparent reason... this ones been great... so far

The rear camera is still in its box... Not yet found a good way to get it mounted on the rear window without the cable, running g to the front camera, showing too much... Fairly easy to get the cable to the rear of the car... but from there to the top middle of the inside of the rear window is more of a challenge. I want it to look neat, else it will be staying where it is... unused. I'll re-visit this sometime and try to get a bit more inspiration

Any suggestions from anyone who has done this would however be gratefully received

PJ
Attachments:

More
23 Jul 2020 21:08 #225535 by Soeley
One of the first things I did was to fit my 2ch Dash Cam, SEE HERE

More
23 Jul 2020 21:18 #225536 by Jimny-Phil
Why, oh why would Suzuki fit non-LED DRL and fog light bulbs. They look terrible, particularly the DRL's. I know that manufacturers want to keep costs down, but just how much more would LED bulbs actually cost them

Anyway, took some advise off here and purchased replacement bulbs. Thanks to whoever put the guide on here (I think it may have been someone called Andy... if not my apologies to the actual author) of how to fit them. Very helpful

What an improvement

Along the same lines I also thought that Suzuki choosing to fit orange side indicator markers was a big mistake, so I fitted some clear ones. That job took longer than it should have done. Managed to pull out the near side passenger one relatively easily... the offside drivers one was another matter... it wouldn't move... was getting worried about damaging the paint work by some sort of implement to help get it out so in the end I had to remove the front mud flap and part of the trim to squeeze my arm up the inside of the wing to force it out! Oh well it's done now

Looks much better... in my opinion anyway

PJ
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.442 seconds