BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:My Jimny gen4 South Africa mods/build thread

More
15 Feb 2022 06:17 #241858 by lookonimages
added a Dessol slimline bumper.
fitted it myself but then again I have équipement and know how to use a spanner.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2022 08:48 #241859 by saxj
Very nice. Is the winch plate optional?
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

More
16 Feb 2022 07:06 - 16 Feb 2022 07:13 #241870 by lookonimages

saxj wrote: Very nice. Is the winch plate optional?

no you get it with the bumper. you also get 2 mesh areas before winch.
I have full one now for not using winch.
if I have winch then I can use the mesh one with hole.

will send you à pic in à while to show the two bumper cover mesh plates that come with. you use one or the other depending if you have winch attached

but yes the winch plate come with it. form part of bumper chassis itself. bumper cannot be installed without winch plate
Last edit: 16 Feb 2022 07:13 by lookonimages.

More
16 Feb 2022 07:45 #241871 by saxj
I wasn't sure what had been changed. My bumper is a very early prototype from Des-Sol.
Attachments:

More
16 Feb 2022 10:08 - 16 Feb 2022 10:16 #241872 by lookonimages

saxj wrote: I wasn't sure what had been changed. My bumper is a very early prototype from Des-Sol.

here are pics of two different grills (both steel) and the winch plate

I have made one change however on the winch plate. will PM you details. I just need to go get photos, but I have to remove bash plate first so give me a day or two.

winch plate nice solid 5mm steel. photo does not show it so good.

Last edit: 16 Feb 2022 10:16 by lookonimages.

More
16 Feb 2022 10:15 #241873 by lookonimages
could not see your pic in tapatalk and had to open it in web.

the released version changed a lot. the form the same but construction totally different. and it is rather nice now. I am super happy with it. yours still had the pipe sections. that is now all plate steel all boxed up nicely.

• DrRobin
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Newbie in Northumberland
More
16 Feb 2022 18:00 #241880 by DrRobin
That's a very smart front bumper, it looks great and wouldn't look out of place without a lift kit and on [fairly] standard tyres.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
16 Feb 2022 20:15 #241881 by lookonimages
what I love is that there is NOT one hole to be drilled. IT FULL BOLT ON using excisting sructures of std bumper fitment areas.

have I told you that I am so happy with the bumper. man they have thought about every bloody thing

More
23 Feb 2022 10:38 - 23 Feb 2022 11:03 #241995 by lookonimages
update on the "enhancement" I made to the bumper is as follows.

please excuse the work in progress pics. Currentky awaiting plates to be powder coated. the final product will look much better. these pics are not the final installation, but merely to give an illustration of the additional bracket

reason for change.
the bumper only really attach to body with 6 bolts. 3 a side. It do wrap around front chassis points, and current design seem to be very very strong. I however had a previous winchplate installed from jimnybits that also use the front cross member for more strength when winching and thus I decided to add that same concept to the dessol bumper.
It might be an overkill and infact not required at all, but I have a little time to play around

this is area where bracket will be installed.

this is the bracket I made to strengthen the winchplate. used the old jimnybits backplate of the previous winchplate.

this is where it attach bumper/winchplate to front cross member bar.

this is how it bolt on seen from below. bracket attach with 4 bolts to bumper and with two much bigger bolts to cross member bar. bolts is fastened with retaining plate on back side of the cross member bar.

this is the view from backside of cross member.

Last edit: 23 Feb 2022 11:03 by lookonimages.

More
23 Feb 2022 12:28 - 23 Feb 2022 12:30 #241998 by saxj
That may give you peace of mind, but is totally unnecessary. I have done plenty of winching with mine, and the mounts are plenty strong enough.

I have also been towed out of some sticky spots. the recovery points are bomber.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2022 12:30 by saxj.

More
23 Feb 2022 13:44 #241999 by lookonimages

saxj wrote: That may give you peace of mind, but is totally unnecessary. I have done plenty of winching with mine, and the mounts are plenty strong enough.

I have also been towed out of some sticky spots. the recovery points are bomber.

yes I know I can be at times be complicating things. as said in my post I know it is not required and I know the kind of 4x4 you do, so yes it has been tested in the hardest 4x4 environment. "Kerkenberg" comes to mind.
great video btw.

More
23 Feb 2022 17:17 #242001 by saxj
That bumper has also been rammed in to obstacles a number of times and hasn't budged one millimeter.

Des Sol had a pro make the video. 

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds