BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

My Chiffon Ivory JB74 SZ5 - blog/mods/build thread

More
19 Jul 2020 17:54 #225330 by 300bhpton
So got some road miles on the new tyres.

In terms of comfort and dry road holding, I’d really struggle to know they were any different from the standard Bridgestones. I also don’t think they are any noisier either. Although I can’t be certain on this. I do think there is more noise, but dipping the clutch removes this. So, my current thinking is the new transfer box is slightly louder than the old one.

The 215’s are only marginally taller by the numbers. I was expecting to see the speedo read slightly differently as a result. But according to GPS it appears to be almost identical to with the old tyres.

Not really had any chance to try them in the dirt yet. I did run down a Byway. But it was dry and grippy and didn’t even require 4wd. So more to report in this in due course.

The only real difference is rotating mass. Having lifted the new tyres in and out of the vehicle on the way to the tyre shop. And lifting the old ones back in. The AT’s are a more hefty and heavier tyre. On the vehicle you can feel this in the performance. I’m not saying it is slow now. But certainly slightly less peppy. This has surprised me a bit. And all I can say is, I’m glad I didn’t go for a set of 235’s. They would have been taller and heavier again. So must impact the performance even more so.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2020 20:54 #225362 by Soeley

More
26 Jul 2020 17:10 #225707 by 300bhpton

Tyres - mudded!

Well, we had some heavy rain here yesterday, so I took the opportunity to try the new Maxxis Wormdrive tyres out.

First to recap:

Dry weather handling seems very good. For the most part they seem no worse on road than the original road biased Bridgestone Duelers. There might be slightly more noise at 60mph+ speeds, but it really is hardly any difference.

No wobble or vibrations either.

General handing is very good. Although when you push on having some fun in the bends, you can feel it moving about on the lugs. Nothing nasty, just a little more, active, shall we say... :D

Wet roads I'd have to report much the same. There was some standing water and heavy run off yesterday. No hint of aquaplaning and they held the road absolutely fine. Even when adding a bit more vigour with the steering wheel and accelerator pedal.

Really the only downside is the blunted performance. I know the Jimny isn't built for speed, but it always felt zippy and peppy before hand. These new tyres are less than 1/2" taller (11mm by the specs). And only marginally wider at 215 section vs 195s. They do have bigger lugs, so more drag and the weight of them as mentioned previously is quite a bit more than the standard road tyres.

Sadly it feels as though the Jimny is down 10% on power, it is that noticeable. How guys are running 235/75R16's with stock gearing I'm not certain. I have a couple of ideas in the pipework to try and recoup the peppiness of the engine. But that might be for next month.

MPG is down slightly too (by 1mpg), but I expected this. Although to be fair I have been driving it harder (due to feeling slower) and it has done more shorter journeys than normal and more off road use.

So now to the point most will be interested in. How did they do in the mud?

Very very well!

The soil where I was driving is very chalky and gets extremely slick when wet, as well as rather cloggy. That tends not to clear well in almost all mud terrains.

This spot looks a bit tame in this photo. However it is a very good cross axle situation and will, even in the dry stop my competition Land Rover wearing mud terrains if you are going too slowly. The rear passenger wheel is down in a hole, with the drivers rear fully compressed. And the drivers front drooping, with the passenger wheel compressed.

Now the Jimny doesn't flex like my Land Rover does, but not only could I get out (and nearly fell over, it was that slippery here). But thanks to the wonders of 4 wheel traction control, was able to pull aways and drive through the obstacle without needing to rollback or get a run up. I'm pretty sure the stock tyres would not haven enabled this. The Maxxis Wormdrive tyres really worked well with the TCS, giving huge ability.

In this picture you can see how the mud is and how it clings to the tyre:

Testing the suspension flex out.

Despite the mud persisting on sticking to the tyre, you can see the central lugs are still protruding, which is probably why they worked so well. Think they have 12mm or so of tread.

The fronts cleared a little better.

So with mud down the sides, I think I'll be looking at some mud flaps next.

And a few mud traps to keep an eye on and make sure the mud doesn't build up.

Overall I'm pleased with my decision of tyres thus far.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland, Soeley

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jul 2020 22:48 - 26 Jul 2020 22:50 #225721 by Andy2640
Hya mate,

Really enjoying your build thread.

I just read your previous posts regarding the tyres taking the zip out the engine. Lol .... just wait until you fit the tranfer plate, diff gaurds, fuel filter gaurd, shocknplates and radial arms gaurds :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Transfer plate is frickin heavy!! They all are! Ohh and i have 215/70/16 KO2's too!. How i miss the "pepp".
Last edit: 26 Jul 2020 22:50 by Andy2640.

More
27 Jul 2020 07:54 #225729 by lookonimages
Looked at your pics it confirms open the jimny back bumper is behind the wheels. The whole lights / wiring is open. Saw that week ago when I took off the back bumper for reverse camera install.

Are you going to add some sort of wheel well/ rubber lining to close that off.

I am really tempted to make a plan on my jimny.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

More
30 Jul 2020 14:10 #225856 by 300bhpton
Couple of poser shots. Although it does make you realise how much smaller the Jimny is vs a Defender 90. Despite the Jimny having a wheelbase longer than a Series III 88.

The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

More
30 Jul 2020 14:24 #225857 by lookonimages
Great shots

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

More
01 Aug 2020 16:29 #225948 by treps
Great thread. Thank you for taking the time to post the mods and upgrades.
I saw the rocksliders mentioned in another thread. Order placed!

More
04 Aug 2020 10:38 #226064 by 300bhpton
Managed to get out and do my first Green Lane in the Jimny last night.

Nothing too difficult, just a bit of fun really. The lane didn't look like it had been driven in a while, although I could see some recent wheel markings from what was probably a Quad bike.

It was well signed as a By-way however.

A little overgrown in places, but thankfully nothing scratchy or damaging.

Once through the narrower bits, the track opened up into a nice woodland trail.

No real need for 4wd or low range on this kind of terrain. Although low range is nice to manoeuvre easily around the tights bits. And of course, when laning, you are there to enjoy yourself, not race to the other end.

Some rather fantastic views however.
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY, lookonimages

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Aug 2020 10:47 #226065 by Andy2640
Hi 300bhp,

Ive heard people say that your front roo bar is banned in the EU. This is surely not the case is it?? Gotta say, it does look good.

Checknout Billygoatjim on youtube, he is in oz, and goes on some great adventures.

Lovin tour jim mate.

Oh, also, what is the weight of the roo bar buddy??

More
05 Aug 2020 21:52 #226124 by crash486
If it's Ironman, it's around 39kg I believe.

crash486 JB74W

More
11 Aug 2020 10:36 #226510 by 300bhpton
Well as most will likely know, it was very hot in the UK yesterday.

Not quite that hot, but in the 30's still.

Yesterday also marked the start of harvest for us on the farm. Such an awesome time of year!!

There were some tremendous rainstorms and thunder about. This one knocked the power out in a local village. But thankfully it missed us completely.

Also had a chance to have a play with my Mavic Mini:

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds