BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Mark's 03 Jimny

More
11 Jun 2016 10:59 - 11 Jun 2016 11:00 #168342 by mark98
Replied by mark98 on topic Mark's 03 Jimny
Little update. I have finally got round to fitting roof bars, which I'm hoping will come in handy soon. I found some i the back of the garage, which I didn't think would fit, but with some persuasion, I got them on.This has saved me buying a new pair, which means I can finally get a much needed CB radio. :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Jun 2016 11:00 by mark98.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2016 20:40 #168570 by mark98
Got the CB fitted, complete with a bright yellow 1.5m aerial B)
Attachments:

More
18 Aug 2016 14:14 #171429 by mark98
So a short update. Unfortunately, it seems that my head gasket is on the way out. I've had hot running issues for a while, and the garage today diagnosed the source of the problem is likely to be a knackered head gasket, as that would cause most of the coolant to be pushed out through the header tank overflow. So this is looking like a potentially big bill, unless changing a head gasket on a M13 engine is a relatively simple DIY job with standard tools?

It's not all bad news though. It's just had all the oils changed and there is something interesting happening with the front bumper, which is going to replace the lower front black plastic section. Watch this space! :)

And a little shot from the other day driving home from a mates house.
Attachments:

More
18 Aug 2016 20:03 #171432 by gusthegorilla
Replied by gusthegorilla on topic Mark's 03 Jimny
Sad news about the head gasket, Mark....fairly easy job to get through.....but that picture ....what a great image, I love it, and my photographer wife does too !!!!!

I'm planning to live forever.....so far, so good !!
The following user(s) said Thank You: mark98

More
19 Aug 2016 14:07 #171445 by mark98

gusthegorilla wrote: Sad news about the head gasket, Mark....fairly easy job to get through.....but that picture ....what a great image, I love it, and my photographer wife does too !!!!!

Cheers Gus! The photo is not too bad when you consider the forum reduces quality and I only took using the camera on my iPhone. :)
Here's another couple that I don't think are too bad!

Attachments:

More
19 Aug 2016 16:51 #171449 by gusthegorilla
Replied by gusthegorilla on topic Mark's 03 Jimny
Good work....mean & moody !!!! Mrs Gus likes these,too, so they must be half decent !!!!

I'm planning to live forever.....so far, so good !!

More
06 Sep 2016 19:23 #172070 by mark98
Well the Jimny is now in the garage for maybe a couple of weeks getting a new head gasket to (hopefully) solve my persistent overheating issues once and for all. The kingpin on the nearside is also being done to cure the returned death wobble. I am hoping that the bill isn't too expensive and that there are no hidden problems, like a cracked block :unsure:

In more exciting news, the front bumper is now finished, suitable for more recoveries than the weak tie downs. It took a while but it is certainly very substantial. It was only fitted a few days ago and is yet to be tested, but hopefully I'll never need to use it in anger!

And, while the Jimny is away, I still had a small hankering for a spot of green laning, so took my very temporary car out, borrowed from my mum.

My quick review: it did surprisingly well in the dry, although a lack of ground clearance was obvious, the tyres wouldn't handle any kind of wet mud and the lack of low range was frankly disappointing. Good fun though still! B)
Attachments:

• Alex
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Sep 2016 18:33 #172177 by Alex
Replied by Alex on topic Mark's 03 Jimny
Haha nice one, do this to your mum's ka -

I like your metal bumper, did you buy it or make it?

More
11 Sep 2016 12:50 #172190 by mark98

Alex wrote: Haha nice one, do this to your mum's ka -

I like your metal bumper, did you buy it or make it?

That KA looks like it may have had just a bit of work to that ;)

The metal bumper was made, used a bit of from memory 6mm channel, then ground and cut into shape to fit the aperture where the black plastic bit used to go. Its also got a thin plate underneath to stop loads of mud going up the inside of the bumper and ruining my radiator more than it already is.

More
15 Nov 2016 22:05 #174674 by mark98
Probably time for an update! A little has been done since my last update now, with some things planned for the nearish future. The big difference is the roof rack, which I bought from a chap who made it to fit his Jimny. The main attraction was the ability to mount a 42 inch light bar on the front;) I have a 33 inch for the back. It is proper sturdy, but will need a repaint come the spring to smarten it up a bit. And yes the 42 inch bar s wired to the main beam, along with the 24 on the bumper B) (Some HID headlights will be next I think, never have too much light!).

Other than that very little on the mods front. It now needs a new king pin bearing on the passenger side as it is leaking very nicely now, and the wheel wobble is at an almost annoying level, but I'm happy to live with it for a while longer. This is because I'm thinking of switching up the suspension, literally. The current springs and shocks are now very tired, and running a little extra weight with guards underneath and a sizable roof rack,my 195/80 R15 mud tyres are starting to catch more often on the arches, whereas before it was fine. So I'm now thinking of lifting the Jimny, either 2 or 3 inches, but I'm leaning towards 2 inches at the minute. My everyday tyres are starting to wear,so I would like to then change them for a set of BFG All Terrains, ditching the wheel spacers in favour of off set steel rims. But this will have to wiat until the new year at least, of not the spring. But there are certainly more things to come...B)
Attachments:

More
13 Oct 2017 18:07 #185185 by mark98
Nearly a year since I updated...timely update I feel. The past 11 months have mainly been plagued by hot running issues, with a new head gasket last September, new rad in December this year, followed by a new thermostat and water pump. It now seems the fan is most likely the main culprit now, and will be being sorted ASAP. Other than that, the roof rack has now gone (may be for sale for the right price...), to be replaced by roof bars and the 42" light bar moved to mounts on the a pillars. New front spots too. Junked the A/T tyres in favour of my M/T's full time (I now have a mundane Fiesta to drive to work in :dry:). Fleet as it stands currently.
The wheel spacers are therefore also gone to make room for the 195/80 R15 tyres. Its also been treated to a semi van conversion, with heavy rear tint and a flat floor conversion that allows for the rear seats to remain in place be still create an early totally flat floor and really usable load space. Other than that, its been enjoyed on the highways and byways of sunny Suffolk...and even ventured to Norfolk, Essex and Cambridgeshire...happy days...

Working...:)

Playing...B)

Spalshing!!!:woohoo:

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds