BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Red Dustbin

• Daft Waders
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jun 2015 20:34 #146599 by Daft Waders
Replied by Daft Waders on topic Red Dustbin
Good to hear your vacuum hubs work fine :) what are they then :unsure:

:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fshdck
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jun 2015 05:44 #146608 by fshdck
Replied by fshdck on topic Red Dustbin
Front wheels locking mechanism that engages when you put the car in 4 wheel drive. Many people report it breaking due to loss of pressure, stuck pipes etc.

• Daft Waders
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jun 2015 22:15 #146667 by Daft Waders
Replied by Daft Waders on topic Red Dustbin
Thanks for that, going to see if mine are working

• fshdck
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Aug 2015 06:55 #148914 by fshdck
Started fixing the kingpins, prompted to do it by increasing oil leak from front hubs.

Learned the hard way to get a set of rusted bolts removal tools and to buy all the bits and little parts in advance as everything I touch on the car is rotten and falls apart. No wonder as most of components are still 13 years old, rusted through original equipment.

Getting four hub bolts off took me six hours, at the cost of broken screwdriver and snapped pair of new mole grips (Halfrauds ones- don't buy them, they may snap in your hands without much effort). Finally knocked the washers out with a chisel, allowing more grip on the stuck, mangled bolts and used a pair of ancient German molegrips borrowed from my plumber neighbour. The bearings were in bad shape, still working however, but the bottom race was cracked into pieces. There was about 2-3 mm of play in the wheel but car never had the slightest wobble. Go figure.

Saying that, advancing from fixing bicycles to fixing cars, I find working on the Jimny quite simple (many thanks to Mr Lines and his "how to" articles).

More
03 Aug 2015 07:25 #148918 by j999pre
Replied by j999pre on topic Red Dustbin
A lot of people are removing the 4 bolts on the back of the hub when there is no need to.

You can change the kingpin bearings without completely dismantling the hub. Just remove it as one unit

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

• fshdck
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Aug 2015 07:49 #148919 by fshdck
Yep. Now I know. I'm still trying to replace all the rusty fittings, when I do any repairs. Makes it easier next time and I believe it will make the car be more reliable in the long term, just gives me more piece of mind.

I'm still amazed how this poor, little thing stood up to neglect from previous owners and careless car mechanics.

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds