BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

1 careful lady owner

More
13 Apr 2009 17:22 #571 by Rich-lj
1 careful lady owner was created by Rich-lj
Until I got hold of it that is! My Jimny is a 51 plate soft top with 58,000 supermarket and school run miles on it. I bought it for a bargain price off my wifes friend for laning and the odd pay and play day here and there. On my first outing in the snow I needed a tow which resulted in one of the front towing eyes being ripped off, so I set about redoing them. I added an extra cross member on the front end and boxed in the crumple sections of the chassis rails, then made up some towing eyes out of 12mm flat and welded them to the rails and out through the bumper. I also made an attachment for my highlift jack that fits into the towing eye. Other than that, the only other mods are a set of mud tyres. It needs a lift desperately as although it will go anywhere, it does bottom out alot.

Anyway, a few pics of it in action...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2009 17:52 #572 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:1 careful lady owner
Rich,

We are going through the process of trying to create a bolt on recovery point for the front and rear for those who are reluctant to weld. Too late for you but thought you might like to know.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
13 Apr 2009 18:05 #575 by Rich-lj
Replied by Rich-lj on topic Re:1 careful lady owner
A bolt on system would be good, I was at a bit of a loss on the best way to do mine because of the crumple zone parts of the rails, unsure whether they would be strong enough to tow on when propperly stuck. They seem to be holding up at the mo, but were a pain to do.
If you are going with a bolt on idea, do you plan on adding an extra cross member because the ends of the rails are unsupported?

More
21 Jun 2009 19:11 #838 by bobcat
Replied by bobcat on topic Re:1 careful lady owner
hi rich
what size tyres have you got there? and what make ?
also is the car at standard hight with standard arches? and do they foul arches at all
greatful for any info
cheers
new jimny owner

More
21 Jun 2009 19:26 #839 by Rich-lj
They are 195's Greenway Diamonds. No rubbing and all standard height :)

More
21 Jun 2009 19:31 #840 by bobcat
can you put the full size on please. mine are 205/70/15 standard tyres . but i am wanting
a tyre that is the biggest i can get away with without lifting or cutting the arches out

More
21 Jun 2009 19:40 #841 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re:1 careful lady owner
mlines wrote:

Rich,

We are going through the process of trying to create a bolt on recovery point for the front and rear for those who are reluctant to weld. Too late for you but thought you might like to know.

Martin

Someone suggested to me to have a 1/2inch thread welded into the end of the chassis leg and to screw in a recovery eye when off road and remove it for normal road driving.

Any thoughts?

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

More
21 Jun 2009 19:44 #842 by Rich-lj
Haha, I put that because I couldn't remember the full size, I'll go and have a look...

195/80/15

More
21 Jun 2009 19:47 #843 by Rich-lj
Its an idea, but my main concern was the crumple zone on the end of the chassis is not that strong and is welded to the end of the leg. When I did mine I boxed it all in to give it more stregnth.

More
21 Jun 2009 19:47 #844 by bobcat
lol should i go for 205/80/15 ? did you origianally have 195 befor theese?

More
21 Jun 2009 19:53 #845 by Rich-lj
I can't remember what size was on there before, they were the original size road tyres if that helps

More
21 Jun 2009 19:54 #846 by Rich-lj
If you do have rubbing issues, you could always go for a small body lift to overcome it, cheaper than a suspension lift.

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds