BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gaz's reasonably priced jimny..

• gaz3359
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jan 2013 08:10 - 25 Jan 2013 08:13 #59492 by gaz3359
Replied by gaz3359 on topic Gaz's jimny on a shoe string
Im not usualy one step ahead lol

yea nessy will give you a shout if there is any outings planned

yes this jimny came with a selection of chrome and halfords add ons :unsure:
Last edit: 25 Jan 2013 08:13 by gaz3359.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gaz3359
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jan 2013 08:36 - 25 Jan 2013 08:39 #59495 by gaz3359
Few more small updates

rear door hinge all battered off the hammer and heat

fitted back up and works a treat no dropping when opening any more,also found a tin of vauxhall arden blue very similar colour so gave it a couple of coats

stick on number plate,not sure if i like it but will do for time been still looking for a skid plate that goes in the gap

Whipped the rear bumper off as my friend who is making me recovery points wanted some measurements so thought while this was off i could remove the mud flaps and have a check/clean behind there,plent of mud scraped out but everything seemed solid so happy.

Also i removed the rear seats as i think there pretty much useless and id rather have the space as i oftern carry alot of off cut wood for my dad for his coal fires,and more practical for me,im going to put a wood floor in and also make a removable box for carrying recovery gear tools etc for when out and about playing.

Also the drivers front speaker wasnt working so took cover off cleaned connectors and it works again but noticed they are kenwood speakers are these standard ????

I also got some other jobs finished didnt get pics on these,my friend had made me some brackets for the seat to move it back as im 6 ft 2" and was finding it a squeeze after a few tweaks this has done the job and i have another inch of leg room so much better for me to drive.(i noticed this jimny has had an interior change at some point and its the old style thats been fitted not that it really matters)

I also sorted my spare wheel carrier i spaced out the left side with washers where the tailgate is dinted,wheel now sits straight and the wiper doesnt catch the tyre any more.

I was in a dilemer with my fault code situ p0420,id refitted the eml bulb and tested both o2 sensors and both were working,after a bit of looking into it i was sure it was a carbon'd up cat,having just mot'd it i was toying with de-catting it but the cat doesnt rattle and it hasnt collapsed and seems to drive fine either that or its been hollowed out previously cant check without removing it.so i had an idea with past hot hatches ive de-catted it normally puts the eml on theres a bit of a cheat where you can buy a spacer to take the 2nd o2 sensor out of the flow of the gas,any ways ive fitted one to my jim and so far so good no fault codes and no light on the dash just need to see what its like on fuel now.

i also gave it it's first was since i got it down the petrol station :)
Last edit: 25 Jan 2013 08:39 by gaz3359.

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jan 2013 12:22 - 12 Sep 2013 18:08 #59508 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic Gaz's jimny on a shoe string
Well done Gaz it's coming along well.
The Kenwood speakers are a bonus as it's not unusual for the original to fail/rust on the drivers side.
I had to replace mine ............. ;)
Last edit: 12 Sep 2013 18:08 by Tadpole.

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jan 2013 12:33 #59510 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Gaz's jimny on a shoe string
The originals are Sanyo, and commonly fail... i replaced mine too

• craigy123
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jan 2013 23:57 #59622 by craigy123
Replied by craigy123 on topic Gaz's jimny on a shoe string
Dont suppose you still have the handle surrounds do you? I need a drivers one.

• gaz3359
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jan 2013 08:10 #59637 by gaz3359
No sorry sold them

• gaz3359
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Feb 2013 10:41 #61082 by gaz3359
Few updates havnt used the jim since 2 weekends ago i had a knocking from the rear turns out the rear brake shoe pins had gave up causing all sorts of noises so while i was waiting for the new kit to turn up i thought id do a few other bits and bobs while it was in the garage

id ordered a cheapy lift kit from ebay got this fitted along with my new wheels with 195 80 15 sharas on 7j mods and i also fitted 32mm spacers well happy with the results wider and taller :)

9" of diff clearance not bad for beign done on a buget

also ordered a few small service bits as im guessing it hasnt been done for a while judging by the rest of the car

knackered plugs could fit flat head in that gap

gave the throttle body a clean

changed the alt and power steering belts as they were noisey and all cracked not much room for a little engine

Had a small shovel lying about in the garage for a while fitted that to the inside of the back door

While i was still waiting for the fitting kit for my rear shoes my dad suggested having a go at making the prima strip dissapear,when i bought this the preivious owner had wedged it in a barbed wire fence some how and there was alot of dints and deep scratches,i could have put the jimny into the bodyshop next door to the garage i work at and they could have sorted it and painted the side up but been on a budget and with the rest of it not been mint thought me and me dad would have a go in total the materials cost me about 30 quid its by no means perfect and upclose the paint is a slightly darker shade but couple of feet back it looks better than a gery stripe,also if i scratch it off road i wont be bothered,also once the weather is a tad better i will polish it back with the polisher.

and a couple after pulling it out the garage

its good side lol

still a fair bit to do,got some extended hoses to go on

going to do my diff breathers with hose pipe this week,ordered some pipe to have a go at a buget home made snorkel also check the transmission oils and levels.still awaiting my fabbd recovery points.thanks for looking more pics updates to follow cheers

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Feb 2013 10:49 #61084 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic Gaz's jimny on a shoe string
This is turning into a tidy Jimny, all credit to you for doing the work on a buget Gaz ...................... ;)

• Dan_w
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Feb 2013 17:40 #61141 by Dan_w
Replied by Dan_w on topic Gaz's jimny on a shoe string
Looking great mate, have you tried using a buffer on the side you painted, you may be able to get a better blend of he paint with a good buff. I used rattle cans on a repair on a previous car and the match was not great, after a rubdown with 1200 grit paper and a good polish with a buffer it looked much better.

• renard38
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Feb 2013 18:11 #61144 by renard38
Replied by renard38 on topic Gaz's jimny on a shoe string
good job! nice color B)

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Feb 2013 18:29 #61147 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: Gaz's jimny on a shoe string
Nice work :p

Word of warning. If your changing your extended hoses, expect your union nuts to be rusted up. As a result, you may have to hacksaw the brake lines and build new ones :pinch:

I know from bitter experience this weekend just gone :mad:

• iloveics
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Feb 2013 18:54 #61150 by iloveics
Replied by iloveics on topic Gaz's jimny on a shoe string
Nice work! how on earth have you got 9 inches of ground clearance!!!
according to a tyre size tool, total size of yours is 693mm and my tyres (215/75r15) are 703mm, but i have exactly 8 inches off diff clearance!!
maybe its the chunky tread?

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds