BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Halfords Dog-Taxi

More
19 Jul 2011 11:46 #19176 by Halford
Replied by Halford on topic Re: Halfords Dog-Taxi
General Grabber AT2's fitted today with 32mm wheel spacers
good news is that they're on :woohoo:
bad news is the front offside mudflap has had to be junked as the tyre caught the flap nut on full lock :S

I intended to simply remove the fixing, shorten the spacer and refit .... Oh how naive I was, :angry: after 60 mins when it started raining and the neighbours were covering their childrens ears :blush: , after chopping the flap to gain access, I resorted to dremmeling out a section of the plastic trim. :pinch:

yipee - job done :unsure:

sob - one mudflap short :(

when it stops raining (next summer) guess I'll junk the other front flap
anyway, sure it'll look better with mud spray up the doors :P

Got my tyres fitted at Tyrespot (washington) - they have several sites across Tyne & Wear
chatting to the top guy gave some interesting info:
The orginal tyre consignment had arrived on Friday (when I got the email from BlackCircles), but TyreSpot rejected the tyres as the bead had been damaged during manufacture, the de-beader chappy had taken too much off. Hence, anyone ordering non-fitted tyres - beware.
TyreSpot also advised they would have matched the price - so the moral of the story, check out your local tyreshops (obviously not Kwik-rip etc).

initially set the tyres at 23/26 psi - what does anyone else do ????
steering feels lighter and car ride has totally changed - doesn't crash into holes any-more and speed-bumps feel like humps now, not brick walls.
;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jul 2011 11:57 - 19 Jul 2011 12:05 #19177 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Re: Halfords Dog-Taxi
Hoping my mud flap doesn't catch!

Looks an easy mod on the plastic spacer. I used a nut-n-bolt rather than the provided pop rivet, so removal is easier for me! They've only been fitted 12months so not so much corrosion

Will get mine fitted before the weather sets in... make sure i have some nice crisp tread if we have any snow... the mother isn't too happy with 5 tyres piled up on the patio :dry:

I hope the ride is a tad better... as speed bumps do tend to rattle the back seat

Get rid of the blue protectant... soapy water and a wheel brush does the job
Last edit: 19 Jul 2011 12:05 by adamatdraycott.

More
19 Jul 2011 13:48 - 19 Jul 2011 13:53 #19179 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re: Halfords Dog-Taxi
They look brilliant on there combined with the spacers, just one thing though could you get a pic further out to get a better perspective on them? B)

If you really need mudflaps you could knock some up or get the rally flaps that have the brackets on the outside of the arch. I've always said i'd knock some up at some point but as yet i'm undecided, when you're in really thick mud its going to get everywhere anyway. I want some fatter tyres too as it will make them look skinny with some big old mudflaps. Most i've seen off road get ripped of at some point too. a decision thats a long way down the list i guess

I run mine at the factory pressures, usually halfway between normal and fully laden on all my cars. You will notice immediately on the road when the pressures are getting low, mine rolls on the back corners.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!
Last edit: 19 Jul 2011 13:53 by mcjimny.

More
19 Jul 2011 14:00 #19180 by Halford
adamatdraycott wrote:

mother isn't too happy with 5 tyres piled up on the patio

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
stick some plants in, she'll be well pleased

;)

• lukeyblunt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jul 2011 14:14 #19181 by lukeyblunt
Replied by lukeyblunt on topic Re: Halfords Dog-Taxi
Those 'Wispa Bars' are superb !
My roof bars stick out a mile on either side !

• nicho
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jul 2011 14:24 - 19 Jul 2011 14:29 #19182 by nicho
Replied by nicho on topic Re: Halfords Dog-Taxi
nice , there well gud arnt they, i to set them at imbetwen factory pressures when i got them fitted they were really bumpy but still better then checked the pressures and they had put 33 - 35 in them all .now much much more comftable than our 35 by 19s on other car.(not a jimny) nice idea with tyres we have 5 in back yard.do you have any plans on a lift yet.
Last edit: 19 Jul 2011 14:29 by nicho. Reason: missed sumet

More
19 Jul 2011 16:54 #19192 by mcjimny

Halford wrote:

I've never seen that one before, thats awesome!

• Goat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jul 2011 18:30 #19203 by Goat
Replied by Goat on topic Re: Halfords Dog-Taxi
Looking good there Halford.

More
20 Jul 2011 07:53 #19232 by Halford
Thanks Guys
mcjimny wrote:

could you get a pic further out to get a better perspective on them?

here's a few for Matt - dreak weather

;)

• Nobby22
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jul 2011 17:50 #19321 by Nobby22
Replied by Nobby22 on topic Re: Halfords Dog-Taxi
Loving the new tyres. When i put my Insa Saharas on, at full lock, the wheel "sucked" up the mudflap so it was bent in half between the arch and the tyre. So i got the hack saw and cut it down the fold. ;) . Plenty of WD40 later and i had the rest of it out, ohh and a little help from the hacksaw. The back ones had the hacksaws bigger brother on them, the trusty angle grinder. :laugh: You just reminded to go and check my tyre preasures. I will run them at factory spec and see how they feal. ;)

Nobby

More
21 Jul 2011 20:36 #19328 by mcjimny
Thanks for the trouble! It looks the business, i just wanted to see how they sit in the arches to decide if i get some more grabbers as they are cheap or get some muds.

Great looking truck! Keep the lettering clean as i left mine muddy and it stained it and let the truck down, a bit geeky i know but don't they just set them off?

• Municipal Waste
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jul 2011 17:09 #19445 by Municipal Waste
Replied by Municipal Waste on topic Re: Halfords Dog-Taxi
The big question though, even with the mudflaps off does it rub when you get some articulation on it?

Time to create page: 0.231 seconds