BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Kirkynut's Jimny (aka Daddy's Tractor) - The Evolution continues...

More
04 Nov 2015 17:59 #155347 by helijohn

kirkynut wrote: Oil change done today.Kirkynut

Been working hard innit. :laugh:

Regarding SAE 5W am I right in thinking the oil will be much the same viscosity at a certain temperature. Assuming the ambient temperature is 14°C the oil will flow much the same 5/30 or 10/30. If the temp drops to -20°C then the 5W oil will flow better. :unsure:

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Nov 2015 19:50 #155359 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Kirkynut's Jimny - The Evolution continues...
Good job jobbed then ;) do you not have to change the oil filter when you do an oil change?

More
04 Nov 2015 19:55 #155360 by helijohn

Daniel30 wrote: Good job jobbed then ;) do you not have to change the oil filter when you do an oil change?

I do religiously. Sometimes I change the filter and keep the oil. ;)

More
04 Nov 2015 23:50 #155376 by kirkynut

Daniel30 wrote: Good job jobbed then ;) do you not have to change the oil filter when you do an oil change?

Er... yes. I didn't mention the filter as I've never known anyone to change the oil and not the filter.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
04 Nov 2015 23:56 #155377 by kirkynut

helijohn wrote:

kirkynut wrote: Oil change done today.Kirkynut

Been working hard innit. :laugh:

Regarding SAE 5W am I right in thinking the oil will be much the same viscosity at a certain temperature. Assuming the ambient temperature is 14°C the oil will flow much the same 5/30 or 10/30. If the temp drops to -20°C then the 5W oil will flow better. :unsure:

The first number is it's viscosity when hot and thinnest and the second when it's cold and thickest.

So when hot it'll be a little thinner and get to places better but might get past the rings a little easier as a result and burn a little more. We are talking such a small amount though.

When cold it'll be a little thinner than the 10w40 I've been using so will be better for cold starts.

I've used fully synthetic too, so it ought to do a better job too!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Nov 2015 06:46 #155382 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Kirkynut's Jimny - The Evolution continues...

kirkynut wrote:

Er... yes. I didn't mention the filter as I've never known anyone to change the oil and not the filter.

Kirkynut

As I have no mechanical knowledge whatsoever :woohoo: I was just wondering as you hadn't covered many miles between changes so I was just checking
Cheers

More
05 Nov 2015 10:22 #155390 by helijohn

Daniel30 wrote: As I have no mechanical knowledge whatsoever :woohoo: I was just wondering as you hadn't covered many miles between changes so I was just checking
Cheers

That's a good point and I have to confess that thinking about what you said about low mileage there have been times when I have changed the oil and not the filter. Sometimes when I have a 'new' motor and the oil is foul, rather than use a flushing oil I use a cheap oil and fit a new filter and change just the oil soon after. Sometimes if the motor has been standing for a long long while and the filter was renewed at the last oil change I will leave the filter in but change the oil which probably has degraded. As a general rule though new oil and new filter go in together.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Daniel30

More
05 Nov 2015 13:38 #155410 by kirkynut
I would always change the filter as it costs a fiver, so why not change it.

Even though it hadn't done many miles and I know I've changed the oil regularly during my ownership, the oil came out black.

So effectively the last lot of oil has done a fair amount of cleaning but not had to do much lubricating!

Even though I don't do so many miles in this car, I don't think I'll leave it as long next time. Halfords have 4L on offer for £12 every now and then, so it's worth buying it for future use when it is on offer.

Kirkynut

More
05 Nov 2015 16:39 #155431 by helijohn

kirkynut wrote: it's worth buying it for future use when it is on offer.

Kirkynut

In my world oil is always needed and all my life I have bought it when cheaper. In fact Tesco did it so cheaply many moons ago that I had about 5 gallons in store at one time. I saw some for about a tenner in (I think) Asda not long ago. I used to do the same with wiper blades but Wilko have them for a few quid anyway. Good job too cos the MoT bloke pulled at the rubber on the NS wiper and I found it torn when I used the wipers next time, draw your own conclusions.

More
07 Nov 2015 16:50 #155650 by BGBrit
On the subject of oil vis... here in Bulgaria we can have -10 to -20 in the winter which is about the same as the Uk on occasions, usually though we have -5 to +12 there abouts, but always in the mid-summer for a couple of months its about +25 to +35 ... +30 can last a few months... My question in my case what vis of oil would best in these temp ranges?
I've just changed the oil and filter two weeks ago,,, I used 10-40 grade.
BGRit.

More
02 May 2016 13:51 #166119 by kirkynut
I was going out this morning and my neighbour was digging out the routes of the monkey tree in his front garden and struggling. Out came the Jimny!

It wouldn't winch out and just winched me to it up the curb.

I spun it round, 4wd low engaged on the Rocklobster and wheels straight and snatched it out on a rope!

Jimny 1 Tree 0

Kirkynut

More
05 Sep 2016 23:07 #172039 by kirkynut
My Jimmy has broken down! Fortunately within 30 yards of the Mother in Law's place, so it is there overnight!

The fuel hose that takes the fuel off the pump to the engine has popped off the top of the tank! So I have to drop the tank and pop it back on!

It has a jubilee clip rather than the sprung ones so the previous owner has been at it! I thought I'd got to the end of his bad work but seemingly not!

I hope that the bolts have not rusted up too badly! We'll see tomorrow!

Kirkynut

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds