BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Kirkynut's Jimny (aka Daddy's Tractor) - The Evolution continues...

More
02 Mar 2015 16:46 - 02 Mar 2015 16:56 #139617 by kirkynut
I changed the rear gearbox mount the other day, thinking it might stop the clunk I have had when taking up drive. No such luck but it has made selecting first and reverse easier when the gearbox is cold! So it was not a waste of money buying it. The old one did not look too bad once off but the rubber must have softened.

I even took the rear prop off to check the UJ's properly. I thought I could feel the smallest amount of play in one of the UJ's so took it to an old school mechanic for his opinion and was ready to leave him to change the UJ's - one of the few jobs I've not done and don't look forward to doing, so was going to let him do it! The mechanic told me it was nothing and that it would never cause a clonk. The more I felt the UJ, the less I could feel the play I thought I had felt.

The clonk was not there with the rear prop removed, which had led me to think it was something to do with that. The rear diff is a new to me but a good second hand one I fitted a month or two ago and had no slop in it, so I was happy with that.

Now it could be the rear radius arm bolts being loose and moving in their holes or the holes elongated but I expected it to do it without the rear prop on too, however without the twisting force of the rear axle it didn't but was indeed these bolts being too loose.

Fortunately the holes these bolts go through are not elongated but they would have been if I had left them loose like that. It seems they need tightening every now and then as I have had this before. Rotating them stops them from rusting to the bushes anyway!

My rear diff was leaking from both the filler and the drain plug too, following me changing the rear diff. I changed the drain plug to be sure it was sealing ok and found I'd not actually done it up that tight in the first place! No wonder it was leaking then! The same was the case for the filler plug.

It's unlike me to have to tighten anything up on any of my cars as I usually over tighten them!

Changing the rear diff drain plug presented me with another present in the form of a tooth! Now this was a bit shocking as I've just replaced the rear diff because that the old one kept giving me such presents!

So was this one left over from the old diff or a problem with the new diff? Cue me hurriedly stripping down the old diff to find where the teeth came from on that and how many were broken off. I had 2 from before I changed the diff and now another one!

Well the Pinion Gear of the old diff has 11 teeth and all 11 of them are missing a chunk! There is still a substantial amount of each tooth remaining and looking at them, the part missing does not engage with the crown wheel teeth it seems, having looked at it going round, hence I did not know from driving it. So I am unsure how they broke off but they certainly have.

I am therefore satisfied that this is not from the new diff and is one of the bits broken off from the old diff. But where are the other 8 missing parts of teeth? I cannot think that there are 8 more parts of teeth swimming around in the rear axle, so I wonder if this is another thing left over from the previous owner! Obviously I checked for teeth in the axle tubes when I changed the diff but could not see right the way along them. I suspect the previous owner has fished a few out too.

So now my JimJam is running well and is clonk free!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 02 Mar 2015 16:56 by kirkynut.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gaz3359
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2015 16:54 #139619 by gaz3359
Replied by gaz3359 on topic Kirkynut's Jimny - The Evolution continues...
Sounds a productive bit of maintenance there, I oftern check my radius arm bolts and usually get a small nip on them.funny you should mention the gearbox mount making a difference to 1st and reverse when cold as mine is exactly the same untill it warms up its difficult selecting them.may give a mount a shot as ive recently put fresh oil in after fitting a new clutch

More
02 Mar 2015 17:00 #139620 by kirkynut

gaz3359 wrote: Sounds a productive bit of maintenance there, I oftern check my radius arm bolts and usually get a small nip on them.funny you should mention the gearbox mount making a difference to 1st and reverse when cold as mine is exactly the same untill it warms up its difficult selecting them.may give a mount a shot as ive recently put fresh oil in after fitting a new clutch

Well this is the part you want: www.bigjimny.com/store/index.php?_a=product&product_id=215

I try to keep my Jimny in tip top condition in all ways so I'm pleased with today's results!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• gaz3359
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2015 17:13 #139622 by gaz3359
Replied by gaz3359 on topic Kirkynut's Jimny - The Evolution continues...
Cheers, im always tinkering with mine and keep on top of everything last thing I want is something failing when im out on the lanes.amd ive been using mine for my daily drive since Christmas and its never missed a beat probs done it good.

More
02 Mar 2015 17:29 #139627 by helijohn

kirkynut wrote:

gaz3359 wrote: Sounds a productive bit of maintenance there, I oftern check my radius arm bolts and usually get a small nip on them.funny you should mention the gearbox mount making a difference to 1st and reverse when cold as mine is exactly the same untill it warms up its difficult selecting them.may give a mount a shot as ive recently put fresh oil in after fitting a new clutch

Well this is the part you want: www.bigjimny.com/store/index.php?_a=product&product_id=215

I try to keep my Jimny in tip top condition in all ways so I'm pleased with today's results!

Kirkynut

What's tooth breakage like in general? Is it cos you guys stress the diff while mountaineering or are they a bit weak for bigger wheels or just weak?

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
02 Mar 2015 18:47 #139642 by kirkynut
Gaz I think it does do vehicles good to be used. Things wear but lack of use means anything rubber degrades. As does oil and grease! So if a vehicle has seldom use it can do it harm.

John, I've no idea why these teeth broke. They're not know for it. Once one went, the others were likely to follow but as to why one went I don't know. Why just a bit off the end too? I wonder if it was a manufacturing problem. I've heard or crown wheels flexing on Land Rovers but the crown wheel gets stripped of teeth, not the pinion. Zukes don't suffer from that though.

Kirkynut

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2015 19:33 #139651 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic Kirkynut's Jimny - The Evolution continues...
Just pleased to hear you found those 'bits' Kirky ..... :ohmy:

More
03 Mar 2015 17:35 - 27 Feb 2018 20:36 #139749 by kirkynut
Ladles and Jelly Spoons, I give you The Versatile Suzuki Jimny!

Two tip runs done and there's no weight limit on my roof bars!

The garden stuff:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

The double bed and matress:

File Attachment:

Then the weekly food shop:

File Attachment:

Whilst at the tip pulling the bed off the roof, part of the bed took the rear number plate light clean off the spare wheel centre where I mount my rear number plate. No great problem as a direct replacement has already been bought and fitted for £5.99. I got a spare too as I can see me doing that again!

Kirkynut

Last edit: 27 Feb 2018 20:36 by kirkynut.

More
03 Mar 2015 18:13 - 27 Feb 2018 20:37 #139758 by helijohn

kirkynut wrote: The double bed and mattress:

Kirkynut

My local recycling centre (tip :laugh: ) has a height barrier and a load like yours would not get through - I kid you not.

Last edit: 27 Feb 2018 20:37 by kirkynut.

More
03 Mar 2015 18:34 - 27 Feb 2018 20:37 #139763 by Halford
File Attachment:

so who needs a cage ?

just stick a mattress on the roofbars :blink:
Last edit: 27 Feb 2018 20:37 by kirkynut.

More
03 Mar 2015 19:09 #139770 by kirkynut
Well John, with the garden rubbish I parked outside because I know that I wouldn't fit under the barrier but the young lad working on the gate came over and pointed out that the barrier was open! I'm glad he did because that matress was heavy! The rest weighed nought!

Kirkynut

More
03 Mar 2015 19:23 #139771 by helijohn

kirkynut wrote: Well John, with the garden rubbish I parked outside because I know that I wouldn't fit under the barrier but the young lad working on the gate came over and pointed out that the barrier was open! I'm glad he did because that matress was heavy! The rest weighed nought!

Kirkynut

What's the lottery numbers for this week please? :laugh:

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds