BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Roof Lights

More
01 Jun 2009 13:04 - 01 Jun 2009 13:14 #761 by ooky_123
Roof Lights was created by ooky_123
Well after seeing the pictures of Martins lights and following the thread on Difflock, we have fitted lights to the Jimny.
The lights mount through a piece of steel square tube that used to be part of a roof bar (scrap yard).

The bar is secured to the roofrack bars using some "L" brackets and secured using square "U" bolts.(not shown in the Pix as I need to lower the lamp mountings to reduce the overall height)

The wiring is run through black conduite to a custom fused marine switch unit and will be connected to the second battery after we come back from holidays.

The Lamps are fitted with 100watt Bulbs and also have "halo" led's around the outside.

Jason

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland
Last edit: 01 Jun 2009 13:14 by ooky_123. Reason: Crap Spelling !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2009 19:20 #765 by Baz2236
Replied by Baz2236 on topic Re:Roof Lights
They look good got any pics of them on at night, Do you get much glare from them, I had lights on my cage of my old SJ much better up high as they don't get as dirty the only issue i had is the trees used to smash them.

Baz

More
01 Jun 2009 22:06 #766 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re:Roof Lights
Not actually had time to wire them up yet. As they are all spot lights and mounted well behind the driver ( about 5" away from the front of the roofbars ) glare should be minimal. Ive tested the glare aspect using a 500watt flood light (mains powered) at night and had no problems.
These lights are all spot lights and will be set to give a spread of 4 point sof light, one off to each side, and the centre two slightly off straight ahead to give long throw illumination.
We have the standard Bumper fogs for low down light and the A Bar lights are 100watt fog too but adjusted to fill the gap when the standard lights are switched from dipped to main beam.

Off on holidays for 2 weeks this week so doubtful I will get around to getting all the lights setup as I want them, but its a work in progress while we wait for rain !! (its too hard and dusty on the plain at present, even the rivers have turned to pockets of water

More
02 Jun 2009 13:52 #769 by bazwidajimny
Replied by bazwidajimny on topic Re:Roof Lights
thay look good m8 same as mine B) dont mind me asking whot size tyres are on your jimny

More
02 Jun 2009 17:25 #770 by ooky_123
Hi, tyres are 215r 15's fitted to Dahatsu (sp) rims.

More
03 Jun 2009 23:03 #772 by gorkur
Replied by gorkur on topic Re:Roof Lights
Holy mother of awesome.. My Jimny wants to be just like yours when it grows up :woohoo:

More
04 Jun 2009 07:26 #773 by ooky_123
Thanks GorKur for your comment. Ours is a work in progress, and we have not changed the bumpers yet to increase the approach angles. Its about as Wild as its going to get according to my wife (The owner as detailed on the Registration Document) :D

Believe me though, ours is thame compared to some of the jimnys (Martins with his full cage and sports seats) plus others with their Massive wheels. I think we have just as much admiration and wannabe hopes for ours though to look like someone elses, as you have shown towards ours

Keep it right side up, and have fun :)

Jason

More
30 Aug 2009 10:25 #1204 by Colin2
Replied by Colin2 on topic Re:Roof Lights
Hi Ooky
did you need to make any mods for the rims to fit or did they fit straight onto the original hubs

More
30 Aug 2009 13:18 #1205 by ooky_123
No mods required to get the rims and tyres under the arches with the 2" lift.
However, the lower part of the rear bumper was trimmed slightly as the agressive tyres tended to dig a lot of mud and stones up, these were catching the bumper. So really it was a preventative. I have 1" clearance between the bodywork and the tyres (**when they were new!**).
So as the tyres wear down, the clearance increases at the sacrifice of a few mm of tread. However, as the tyres have 18mm of tread anyway, these figures will be quite small.

More
20 Oct 2009 07:57 #1396 by ooky_123
Well, its only taken me about 4 months to finish the roof lights.

The mark 1 lights shown at the start of the thread were deemed to be a little too big, and I had issues lowering the lights to illuminate closer to the vehicle.

So, with some tips from Martin on mounting options, I came up with the follwoing ..

Here, it was found that using smaller lights reduced glare even more as the roof shielded a lot of the excess light. It also meant the roof rack could offer some protection to the lights as they are actually mounted behind the front of the rack, and are protected by one of the cross tubes.

Mounting was done using a set of Wickes gate brackets and 4x square "U"bolts to locate and secure against the roof bar tube.
This allows the lights to be moved sidewals about 15 degrees.
Up and down is achieved by the light mount itself

More
02 Nov 2009 10:39 - 02 Nov 2009 10:40 #1421 by mad4x4
Replied by mad4x4 on topic Re:Roof Lights
Comment Deleted
Last edit: 02 Nov 2009 10:40 by mad4x4.

• BigDTree27
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Dec 2013 17:06 #94797 by BigDTree27
Replied by BigDTree27 on topic Re:Roof Lights
Man that gate bracket idea is brilliant. I have a roof cage up top and no room for another bar for lights. I have mounted my lights on top of the cage but would prefer them at the same height as the bottom of the roof cage. Good going man

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds