BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now closed at 148 vehicles!!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone there

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

knocking noise from front wheel area

More
19 May 2024 15:37 #255992 by mag
Hi all , think i have a cv joint problem , car stationary , go from lock to lock and not all the time but sometimes , loud knock 
from area of front o/s wheel  , doesn`t do it  every time , probably about 1 in 3 or 4 lock to locks , CV joint I`m thinking , would you agree ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2024 16:09 - 19 May 2024 16:11 #255993 by DrRobin
It could be, but a cv joint normally makes a cracking sound when been driven at full lock, I doubt there would be any noise when stationary.

I would probably check other components first, e.g. wheel bearing, kingpin, steering linkage, coil spring, suspension bush, basically anything that can move when going lock to lock.

How old is your car?

Are you running bigger tyres, they’re not catching are they?

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Last edit: 19 May 2024 16:11 by DrRobin.

More
19 May 2024 19:19 - 19 May 2024 19:21 #255997 by mag
2004 , 100K ON IT , WAS FINE LAST TIME OUT , KINGPINS NEED DOING AS LEAKING A BIT OF OIL FROM EASH SWIVEL BUT DON`T REALLY WANT TO SPEND MONEY ON KINGPINS IF CV GONE , ANY GOOD WAY TO TEST FOR CV ? STANDARD SUSPENSION AND TYRES

Last edit: 19 May 2024 19:21 by mag. Reason: HIT SUBMIT TOO SOON

More
19 May 2024 20:06 #255998 by fordem
CV joints, worn CV joints, will generally make a very distinctive repetitive "clicking" noise, but usually on full lock and with the vehicle under power, so accelerating - you say you're getting a knocking noise with the vehicle stationary - the chances of the noise being the CV joints is slim to non-existent.

More
19 May 2024 20:14 #255999 by mag
any ideas then , doesn`t appear to be suspension related , seems to come form wheel area , could it just be kingpin bearings ?? quite a loud " knock " when occurs but as i say , not all the time , does it when on the ground and with wheels off the ground

More
19 May 2024 22:51 #256004 by DrRobin
You say it happens even when jacked? In that case there is no load on the wheel or suspension and as the wheels are not going round, the only thing moving is the wheel hub on the kingpins, the steering rods and the steering box.

When you get the knock is their resistance before hand, e.g. something sticks then suddenly frees?

Whilst jacked can you feel any play, left/right or top/bottom?

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

The following user(s) said Thank You: mag

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 May 2024 03:27 #256006 by Lambert
Years ago I chased a very similar problem and it turned out that the front panhard bar to axle bolt was just starting to back itself out. Tightened back to spec and noise gone. Took ages to find.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
20 May 2024 07:36 #256007 by facade
I assume this happens in 2WD?

It could be a bad CV joint, when they break they fall apart, won't pivot properly and jam the steering so it won't go to full lock in one direction.

If you can't find anything else broken/worn, then you will have to examine it when you change the kingpin bearings- they are around £25 a side.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
20 May 2024 08:03 #256008 by Roger Fairclough
This needs 2 people and a mechanics stethoscope. One to turn and one to listen.

Roger

More
25 May 2024 12:01 #256093 by mag
Had another look today and with wheels off ground , appears to do it on full right lock , 90% lock , doesn`t do it . Just before " clunk " you can feel
some resistance , then clunk . will then go approx 3 to to 4 more lock to locks before doing it again ..No play at wheel though both swivels show some signs of leaking . drivers side is worse , passenger side , very slight so both kingpins need doing but thinking the " clunk " is passenger CV joint ??

More
25 May 2024 12:03 #256094 by mag
yes , resistance on right full lock ( not 90% lock ) then clunk . no play left/ right or top /bottom

More
25 May 2024 15:48 #256096 by DrRobin
It still doesn’t sound like a cv joint to me, unless it has completely collapsed. Then it would probably do it on both locks, not just the right.

It sounds more like something is sticking in the steering, then all of a sudden the power assistance overcomes it and it goes with a clunk.

It might be the steering rack or a bush, but could be the power assistance on the steering.

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds