BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Next question, fuel capasity upgrades?

More
03 Apr 2024 01:42 #255383 by Bob9863
My next area I want to improve is fuel capacity, 90% of the time the stand tank will do me just fine, but I do like to drive in longer runs without stopping and when I do go away if I no longer take a trailer then I can't take any jerry cans away with me.
I definitely think whatever I choose I will have one of the spare wheel mounted 10lt jerry cans, i always carry extra fuel.
but my opinionopinions are as follows l.
1) keep the 40lt tank, I've never bothered putting a bigger tank on any previous vehicle anyway, and got by just fine.
2) a Chinese company makes a plastic 55lt replacement tank that doesn't require any modification to the exhaust, and it would give the perfect size tank for my needs. (But it's an unknown)
3) put in a longranger 80lt tank, it is much bigger then I would like but has a lot extra range to it, and weight, it's easy to buy and has really good reviews.
4) put a 30lt or maybe 25lt reserve tank on it, that keeps the factory tank and fills it up at the flick of a switch. Exhaust modification is needed and if I want to put a tow bar on at a later date, unless i get it built with that in mind then it could be an issue later on.

I'm interested in your thoughts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Apr 2024 05:58 #255387 by Lambert
I do a thousand miles a month and while fuel availability is not a problem locally I am often attending a fuel station and it consumes time or I have to factor it into a trip. I would like an 80l as it doubles the range but I have a gen3 and there isn't a simple bolt in one I have yet found locally.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
03 Apr 2024 07:42 #255391 by Bob9863
They do make a 60lt for the gen 3, that would actually be my ideal tank for mine, but they only do the really big ones for it.

More
03 Apr 2024 08:05 #255393 by 300bhpton

2) a Chinese company makes a plastic 55lt replacement tank that doesn't require any modification to the exhaust, and it would give the perfect size tank for my needs. (But it's an unknown)

Do you have a link to this? I've not seen or heard of this.

As for your requirement. I guess it depends what country you are in, where you are driving and how much you want to spend. The Long ranger tank is a nice solution, but IMO it is very expensive and a reasonable install too, so more cost if you aren't doing it yourself.

More
03 Apr 2024 08:39 #255394 by saxj
I have an 80l tank in mine. It's made by a Des Sol, a South African company. It really is nice not having to worry about fuel. We did a trip last weekend through Lesotho, while others were panicking whether they had enough fuel, and borrowing fuel, we didn't even bother to fill up. We had enough to get us home.

More
03 Apr 2024 09:00 #255396 by Bob9863
This lot has a lot of stock jimny driving in some pretty wet conditions.

Oh and the country we are retiring to is Thailand, we will be living up north on a small farm that we own.
It also happens to have some of the best driving roads in the whole country there, but you have to keep your speed down due to endless blind corners that people have a habit of standing on the road, usually after a few drinks.
So the zjimny would be fun on them
The downside however is a 200% import tax, so it could cost $40,000aud or more to import it, when a made in country dual cab hilux is only $25,000aud.
A new Jimny there actually cost 75,000aud if you can believe that insanity.

More
03 Apr 2024 09:32 #255401 by Bob9863
To save looking it up, that's £39,000 for a 5 door jimny in thailand.

More
03 Apr 2024 17:22 #255408 by fordem
About the same price here, within £5, and for the same reason.

More
03 Apr 2024 21:06 #255413 by Bob9863
I hope you mean the Australian price and not the Thai one.
That one is just insane.

More
03 Apr 2024 22:38 #255414 by fordem
£38,996

More
05 Apr 2024 08:13 #255447 by Bob9863
Well I cam to a decision today after visiting the local 4x4 stores, after looking at the options with them, for what I need we decided to go with the 30lt reserve tank, its really solid, out of the way and I don't have to keep it full unless I need it.
So I will keep about 5lt in for emergency use with fuel doctor in it when I don't need longer range, then fill it up when I do.
I got a quote for both it and the fitting of it that I'm ok with and I will get the diff breathers and a battery upgrade put in at the same time.
They introduced me to the invicta hybrid starter lithium batteries that double as a deep cycle battery, that gives me a lighter battery under the bonnet that works as a deep cycle and always keeps a reserve saved for cranking.
So I sort of end up with a double reserve system.

I think fir a weekend getaway vehicle it will be a well balanced set up like that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds