BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Loud power steering pump

More
26 Mar 2024 17:07 #255250 by Darthblaker7474
When driving my 2008 Jimny, there's a loud droning noise that sounds like it's coming from the engine bay where the power steering pump is, it gets louder at higher speeds/

Has anyone had any experience with fixing this/ is it fixable? Or will I need to invest in some sound deadening 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
27 Mar 2024 09:40 #255255 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Loud power steering pump
Not wanting to scare you but have you had the gearbox rebuild only noises travel and 08 is prime for bad bearings.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darthblaker7474

More
27 Mar 2024 16:53 #255258 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic Loud power steering pump
Assuming it is the power steering pump, try replacing the fluid as the first step.

More
27 Mar 2024 18:35 - 27 Mar 2024 18:36 #255260 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Loud power steering pump
inspecting the fluid should tell you a bit as well. turn the wheel a few times side to side full over. the fluid should be almost  clear and not milky, hazy or foam and no particles or too much bubbles..

I had a pump fail on a vw and I went thru most of the above.

Most pump fails will make the pump make more noise when turning.the wheel or you will feel less power from it on the steering wheel.

to listen more presice you could use a piece of broom stick or similar piece of wood to transport and isolate the sound from the part you suspect and up to your ear. or just buy a car stethoscope.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 27 Mar 2024 18:36 by yakuza.

More
28 Mar 2024 17:44 #255277 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Loud power steering pump
When does it make the noise-

All the time the engine is running, moving or not, in neutral and in gear (both when moving and stationary)?

Only when the car is moving?

When stationary, all the time?

When stationary, only when the gearbox is in neutral, stops when it is in gear? (with the clutch full down obviously).

If the answer is "absolutely all the time, neutral or in gear, moving or stationary" and it sounds like it is coming from the power steering pump, slacken the idler pulley and take the power steering belt off.  If the noise goes it is either the power steering pump or the idler.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
28 Mar 2024 18:40 #255280 by Darthblaker7474
Gearbox has not been rebuilt (yet...) but seems to be running fine albeit a whine in 4th.

I'm assuming I can drive the car to test and see if the noise goes away?

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds