BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

M13A flywheel alignment & torque specs

More
18 Mar 2024 19:49 #255149 by BigKally
So I've got the M13A engine out of my 2001 Jimny for a clutch change and some other things. I've removed the flywheel as it looks like it needs resurfacing (or replacing if nobody around here will do it) and because I wanted to check the rear main seal while I'm in there.

After removing it, someone asks me if it needs to be aligned with the crankshaft in any particular way. I didn't see any markings, no peg or keyway, and the holes are spaced evenly so it'll bolt up any which way, so I don't think it matters, but that is a good question that I don't have the answer to, so I thought I'd ask here.

Additionally, I just wanted to double check to see if anyone had a torque spec for the flywheel bolts? I have the BigJimny torque spec page saved but it doesn't have much for engine components, I found a post on the forums that suggests 76nm (with loctite) is the proper spec, but I just want to double check that.

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2024 21:28 #255153 by TrondK
Hi,

The service manual for a M13 says the the below. I can't see anything about any alignment. It also doesn't mention to locktite the bolts,
but use a sealant, Suzuki 99000-31110.

3) Install flywheel (1) to crankshaft and tighten bolts (2) applied
with sealant at thread part to specification.
Special tool
(A): 09924-17810
“A”: Sealant 99000-31110
Tightening torque
Flywheel bolts
(a): 76 N·m (7.6 kg-m, 55.0 lb-ft)

Torque for clutch cover bolts are 23Nm, and clutch release fork support 29Nm
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigKally

More
18 Mar 2024 22:41 #255157 by BigKally
Much appreciated, the post I saw mentioned 'thread lock' but didn't specify what kind exactly.

I found another forum post suggesting that permatex grey is a suitable alternative to the Suzuki sealant, which is quite expensive, so I'll probably use that.

More
18 Mar 2024 23:10 #255160 by yakuza
I should know this having put a m13 flywheel on my m16 engine, but there is no timing marks on the flywheel?

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
18 Mar 2024 23:56 #255162 by Hughes
Generally if it needs timing there will be a stud or the hole spacing is such that it only goes on one way.
Often its because the engine needs external balancing, but I think in a vehicle that could be fitted with either a flexplate or flywheel its avoided if possible. 

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds