BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now closed at 148 vehicles!!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone there

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

ABS brake light on

More
25 Feb 2024 12:16 #254569 by JAGtheman
ABS brake light on was created by JAGtheman
This weekend my ABS brake light came on. And would not go off. So I searched this subject on the forum and came across a lot of discussion as to where to troubleshoot. Needle in haystack stuff. Then I found an old post with a comment relating to LED brake lights. I had just installed a 3rd LED brake bulb on the rear door. I already had 2 LED bulbs in the lower rear brake lights  that had worked fine up to now. I replaced the newly placed LED brake bulb in the rear door, no change, ABS light stayed on. I replace both lower LED brake bulbs (now I had all original brake bulbs), and off went the ABS light. I re-installed an LED bulb in the rear door, and the system still works.  So I left it as it is. Pity because the bulbs I installed flashed 3 times before staying on, as if you were pumping the brakes to warn someone you were stopping. Quite liked that feature, and really liked the bright brake lights. 

This forum is a fountain of information. I would never ever have linked the LED brake bulbs with the ABS system. Learn something new each day.

Julian
2008 Gen 3 Manual
Being completely revitalised

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2024 12:21 #254570 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic ABS brake light on
Supposedly quite a few Japanese cars link brake bulb failure to the ABS warning lamp.

More
25 Feb 2024 18:21 #254578 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic ABS brake light on
Some LED bulbs come with a 'resistor load' built in so the draw enough current to keep the bulb monitor circuit happy.

It sort of defeats one of the reasons to fit LED bulbs, reduce current but still give a good bright light. I have never heard of the ABS light coming on on bulb failure, but Roger is probably correct, it's a warning to check the bulbs.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2024 18:56 #254579 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic ABS brake light on
It had me fooled for an evening when I tried LEDs in the stop/tail lights of a 2012 Jimny.  Curiously, the ABS light didn't stay on with every engine start - it did it about every other time.  Anyway, putting incandescents back in solved it for good.

I found a wiring diagram which showed the brake lights were wired to the ABS controller.  It *might* be because of Brake Assist, if a 2012 car has such a thing, as this usually flashes the brake lights after a computer-augmented stop.

More
25 Feb 2024 21:20 #254588 by JAGtheman
Replied by JAGtheman on topic ABS brake light on
Yes I had a few warning flashes as well, which I watched, but as they went away, I was happy. I tried to fit LEDs to my indicators, but had this rapid flashing problem. I bought a few different load units, but there is no room to fit them on the tail light assembly. I read that some LED bulbs contain in built load units to fool the system but I have not found any. Pity because I would like LEDs at the rear as the bulbs on mine are like candles.

Julian
2008 Gen 3 Manual
Being completely revitalised

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds