BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Replacing ignition lead set

More
24 Feb 2024 17:51 #254551 by JAGtheman
I live in Bavaria and work in the UK... coming from SA, the land where laws are openly ignored, to the German State, was an paradigm shift for me... Do you know there is a law covering how much noise your vacuum cleaner may make... wait..there's more... there is an app for your phone to measure this noise. No matter what you do, there is a law covering how to do it, when and when not to do it, where to do it and what you may do/not do. And have no doubt, Germans know these laws..... To make matters challenging, the laws are written in legal German so are extremely difficult to for a non native German speaker to understand. But Bavaria is a small slice of heaven and the Bavarians are great people!, all part of the fun of adapting to another environment

My leads were not such a success. Firstly the leads were the wrong length (cable about 3cm too long, solid part that fits onto the spark plug about 1.5cm too short.) So these were actually the wrong leads.I used my old leads that looked fine. I swopped both ignition coils and went for a test drive. Got about 100m and realised that the vehicle was absolutely unhappy. (It had idled OK) Rough, no power. Returned and replaced 1 ignition coil with one I had removed (same make and serial number). Vehicle ran smooth and tomorrow will take for a long test drive. So all I actually ended up changing was 1 ignition coil.

Maybe there was a bad connection when I installed it the first time? I pressed the leads home hard and the ignition coils seated well so I was pretty sure I had installed everything correctly. .Who knows. As long as it runs well tomorrow and the hesitancy is gone when I start on a cold morning, I will be happy.

Julian
2008 Gen 3 Manual
Being completely revitalised

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2024 15:29 - 25 Feb 2024 15:30 #254572 by JAGtheman
Problem Solved:
I had a look at the new set that I had removed and saw that the inside of the leads had a lot of silicon grease in them. So I removed everything from the vehicle and cleaned the inside of the connectors, all of which had small lumps of silicon grease either covering the connector spring or in the brass connector. The spark plugs also had silicon grease on them, which I cleaned off.. So I thoroughly cleaned off this grease, leaving a thin film on the rubber boots, replaced everything and took the vehicle for a good run. Ran like a dream....So the whole key was getting rid of the silicon grease on the connectors.

A successful and very simple excercise.

Julian
2008 Gen 3 Manual
Being completely revitalised
Last edit: 25 Feb 2024 15:30 by JAGtheman.

More
25 Feb 2024 18:16 #254577 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Replacing ignition lead set
That is great news Julian.

Hopefully you can send the wrong leads and coils back?

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
25 Feb 2024 19:39 #254580 by Phaeton
Replied by Phaeton on topic Replacing ignition lead set

In some German states it's not even legal to wash your car at home on a Sunday.

Some estates in the UK have covenants that prevent car maintenance on the driveway, but these are roundly ignored.
It should be illegal to wash your car any day, that's what rain is for, we have a covenant on our estate about caravans being on the drive, that is ignored too, it also says that we can't open a pub, a hotel or a brothel, not aware that these have been ignored though.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds