BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now closed at 148 vehicles!!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone there

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Front wiper motor

More
09 Jan 2024 17:59 - 09 Jan 2024 18:01 #253395 by JAGtheman
Front wiper motor was created by JAGtheman
After returning to the UK from a lengthy stay in Germany (when I contracted Covid for the first time, not recommended), I was happily reunited with the Jimny, charged the battery and went for a spin. When I washed the windscreen, the wiper motor makes a really weird sort of whining noise which was not there before. Everything works, but this appears to be the forewarning of an impending failure. Its MoT time again, and all I need is for this to fail on the day of the MoT. Searching the forum and the parts sites, it appears that you cannot buy an OEM version. 

So my questions:
can I buy any wiper motor unit off (for eg Autodoc) and just swop the motor?
If the motor on mine works (no idea of the source of the whining noise), can I pull the unit apart and oil the gears?

Happy New Year to all

Julian
2008 Gen 3 Manual
Being completely revitalised
Last edit: 09 Jan 2024 18:01 by JAGtheman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2024 18:12 - 09 Jan 2024 18:13 #253396 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Front wiper motor
If I haven't used the wipers for a while on mine, they really drag and slow right down, it almost as if the motor just doesn't have enough power or is about to fail. Usually after a couple of squirts of screen wash they are back to normal.

My Jimny sits outside and we have fields nearby, I think the screen gets coated in a fine layer of dust that is difficult to see, but makes the wipers drag.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Last edit: 09 Jan 2024 18:13 by DrRobin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JAGtheman

More
09 Jan 2024 18:24 #253397 by Phaeton
Replied by Phaeton on topic Front wiper motor
I'd suggest WD40 or Plusgas before going to the expense of a new wiper motor

More
09 Jan 2024 19:34 #253399 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Front wiper motor
If you take the wiper arms off, and remove the decking, you can get at the bolts that hold the wiper assembly in.

I can't for the life of me remember what it looks like, but I do know that I took the whole thing out on mine and free'd up the seized spindle that was causing the wipers to go slow and trip out. (I remember having to do the job but not what it entailed, as I had a lot on my mind at the time)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
10 Jan 2024 07:16 - 10 Jan 2024 07:19 #253404 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Front wiper motor
Under where the wiper arm is mounted, the shaft ends that come out of the cowl below the windsheild is where mine squeel from time to time.

I would not recommend WD40 for lubrication but on rust and to loosen things up it is OK.
Ordinary gear oil, white grease, any lube will do but WD40 will not stay for long as it dries up and make things worse in the long run.

Most other points in the mechanism has nylon bushing so they most likely will not squeel but still would be smart to lube them. 

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 10 Jan 2024 07:19 by yakuza.

More
10 Jan 2024 11:03 #253408 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Front wiper motor
I agree with yakuza, WD40 is not a lubricant, it works as a Water Displacement, hence the WD.

Roger

More
10 Jan 2024 20:50 #253425 by JAGtheman
Replied by JAGtheman on topic Front wiper motor
Thanks all.... something to do this weekend!

Julian
2008 Gen 3 Manual
Being completely revitalised

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds