BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Intrigued about this steering issue fix Youtube video.

More
24 Dec 2023 13:10 #253041 by IICIIEII
Hello!

Youtube recently recommended me the video below:

It tells the tale of a guy installing a suspension lift kit, something that caused the steering wheel to move from the central point when the car goes straight. This is not super surprising, what is surprising to me is that the guy says that he went to 4 different places and at the end they came with the idea of resetting the sensor while keeping the steering wheel a bit turned to the left. The Jimny 4 has a fully adjustable steering arm, is this not the obvious place to do the correction? Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Dec 2023 13:34 #253043 by facade
This was covered in a long thread a while ago, but I can't get the search to show it up.

The gist is that this has worked for several vehicles in south Africa, but no-one can really explain why.

I think we concluded that it is possibly the caster angle change from the lift reducing the self centring of the steering and it follows the camber of the road.

Tweaking the SAC shouldn't do anything as it has an element of self learning built in for small displacements, but the method has worked.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
24 Dec 2023 16:58 #253046 by HFPE
r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=http:...pe=t&link_source=app

Re:Re:Re:Jimny pulling to right

This is the original thread

Sent from my DCO-LX9 using Tapatalk

More
24 Dec 2023 19:38 #253049 by mlines
As facade says, underneath the electonic gizmos etc, the steering on the Gen4 is the same.  The electronic gizmos add in torque to the steering column dependng on road speed and rate of turn of the steering wheel. There is an electronic centre sensor which if you believe the workshop manual is self centering based on an average of where the steering wheel is pointing. So even if it applies torque wrongly when you first drive off after lifting the car it should then average out pretty quickly.

The mechanical adjustment you see me doing does have to be repeated a couple of times as you are adjusting against the "play" in the steering .

However, James' jimny still needs adjusting so I might video it over the holidays if it does not rain too much 

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
27 Dec 2023 12:42 #253110 by IICIIEII
Thanks for the info! It is really interesting. One thing, are only cars in South Africa the ones that can benefit from the "fix"? Could it be that the self centering is off in there?

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds