BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Help wiring tracker

More
22 Dec 2023 15:22 - 23 Dec 2023 21:21 #253009 by Jimbo98
Help wiring tracker was created by Jimbo98
Hi Guys,

My car has been broken into this week however they haven't managed to steal it from some extra measures I put in without going into detail. I want to install a tracker & a kill switch to make it as awkward as possible if they do manage to hot-wire it.

I want to know where all the permanent lives are in the car so I can hide my tracker the best, I understand that people might not want to let the whole internet know so if you know where they are please message me if you can on here. The car is a Jimny 2003.

Thanks for the help
Last edit: 23 Dec 2023 21:21 by Jimbo98.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Dec 2023 17:59 #253011 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Help wiring tracker
My tracking system uses so little power it's able to hook into any live without issue. Plus it has a backup battery too even if it live happens to be found or accidentally cut. Good luck hiding it.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
22 Dec 2023 18:03 #253012 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Help wiring tracker
I had a cut out switch on a Vauxhall years ago. I used one of the spare dashboard switches, just removed the blank and bought a switch to match. Rather than cutting the main power I inhibited the ignition so the starter motor would turn but the engine wouldn’t start.

It’s less obvious than a full cut out and it was effective I caught four joy riders in it one morning.

My 2011 has an immobiliser fitted as standard, did the 2003 have one?

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
22 Dec 2023 19:47 #253013 by Phaeton
Replied by Phaeton on topic Help wiring tracker
Don't know how big the tracker is, but there's a permanent live at the light by the mirror, if it's small enough could it fit up under the headlining or possibly in the channel above the screen. There's also a live at the central locking unit which is at the side of the glovebox if you need a bit more space
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jimbo98

More
22 Dec 2023 20:19 #253015 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Help wiring tracker
Front headlamp

Sent from my ThinkPhone by motorola using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
23 Dec 2023 09:31 #253021 by Jimbo98
Replied by Jimbo98 on topic Help wiring tracker
Thank you, I'll check this out today

More
23 Dec 2023 09:34 #253022 by Jimbo98
Yeah its not that big however they recommend attaching it to the battery but whats the point in that. Thats the first place they would look!

More
23 Dec 2023 21:08 #253029 by Jimbo98

Don't know how big the tracker is, but there's a permanent live at the light by the mirror, if it's small enough could it fit up under the headlining or possibly in the channel above the screen. There's also a live at the central locking unit which is at the side of the glovebox if you need a bit more space

Thank you for the help! I ended up doing this today which worked fine then used one of the mirror screws for a ground. No issues as of yet.

More
23 Dec 2023 21:14 #253031 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Help wiring tracker
Good to see you sorted it 
But you have given a good idea where you've fitted it not a good idea imo

More
23 Dec 2023 21:19 #253032 by Jimbo98

Yeah, that's true however I created a new account on here just so the profile shouldn't link back to me in any way. Do you happen to know anything about kill switches? If so can I PM you?

More
24 Dec 2023 10:30 #253039 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Help wiring tracker
Not so much about kill switch
I have after market alarm
pedal lock home made
kryptonite wire loop with padlock
for kill switch just remove a connection see if it starts
when you find one that doesn't allow car to start,connect a rocker switch rated to 30amp
hide the switch where you like 

More
24 Dec 2023 13:23 - 24 Dec 2023 13:23 #253042 by Phaeton
Replied by Phaeton on topic Help wiring tracker

Although possible what are the chances of a chancer finding THAT specific car that has the tracker hidden there, where do you live to need all that security, my wife left her keys in the ignition of her car last night it was still here this morning & I would expect 360 out of 365 nights a year for it to still be there.

As to a kill switch what are you wanting to kill? The whole car, you can get one of the big switches like they use on Rally cars that have the big red key, problem is they are all the same big red key. You can get a remote switch which disconnects the battery via a fob (search temu & fleecebay), but problem with that is you are forever resetting the clock, it's also easy to bypass. You could interrupt the starter low voltage side & bring back up to a switch. One of the ones I do is put a switch in the coil that goes around the ignition barrel that way it doesn't detect the key & leaves the car immobilsed even if they have stole the key, there are usually 2x small black wires, not looked but presume the Jimny uses the same system. Failing that I have insurance so that if some scrote does take it, at some point the corrupt insurance company will give me some money back.
Last edit: 24 Dec 2023 13:23 by Phaeton. Reason: Spilling mustake

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds