BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Re:Wandering on the Road

More
08 Dec 2023 19:32 #252748 by Phaeton
Sorry for so many newbie questions, only been using the Jimny around the village but today had to go to the hospital & then later nipped back into town to go to Wickes. It wanders & tramlines quite noticeably, don't think it's a death wobble it's not that severe, but very noticeable, it was only MOT'd last week & the tester is a mate of my son's, so all the cars get a really good thorough going through, even if he doesn't fail them, he's been known to pass a car then deliver it back to me with the parts that need fitting on the passenger seat with the invoice 

Anyway, spoke to him & he says the bearings, bushes etc. on the suspension are all good & there's no play, so what could it be, not checked tyre pressures today, (I thought I did last week). It's been lifted 2" but has not had the castor bushes fitted could that be a cause, is it also worth having the tracking checked. It's on Insa tyres not sure of the size, 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2023 19:50 #252751 by jlines
Replied by jlines on topic Wandering on the Road
I would say it sounds normal for the Jimny. My lot Gen 2 to 4 both standard and modified all wander about on the road getting caught in the tramlines. Tire pressures can make a big difference in handling and I find the Jimny likes lower pressures. Roof racks also aren't great on Jimnys. Are they insa turbo mud terrains? If so they are a very aggressive tire on the road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phaeton

More
08 Dec 2023 19:51 #252752 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Wandering on the Road
Jimny's do wander  ​​​​​​
Try not to fight it so hard it just makes you tired. 
Doing castor correction bushes will make the steering feel a little better, also a steering damper a little more better 
But it will always like to wander 

More
08 Dec 2023 20:14 #252753 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Wandering on the Road
Definitely get the castor angle sorted. It's castor that gives the steering its stability and self-centering characteristics.

More
08 Dec 2023 20:14 #252754 by Phaeton
Replied by Phaeton on topic Wandering on the Road

I would say it sounds normal for the Jimny. My lot Gen 2 to 4 both standard and modified all wander about on the road getting caught in the tramlines. Tire pressures can make a big difference in handling and I find the Jimny likes lower pressures. Roof racks also aren't great on Jimnys. Are they insa turbo mud terrains? If so they are a very aggressive tire on the road.

Might try lowering the pressures, I think I put them up to the pressures on the B pillar, not sure if they are mud terrains, they don't look too aggressive 

More
08 Dec 2023 20:17 #252755 by Phaeton

Jimny's do wander  ​​​​​​
Try not to fight it so hard it just makes you tired. 
Doing castor correction bushes will make the steering feel a little better, also a steering damper a little more better 
But it will always like to wander

Never heard of a damper on a car, do you have any further information, it has power steering I take it it's not speed dependant less assist the faster you go?

More
08 Dec 2023 20:22 #252756 by Phaeton
Are these suitable as our host doesn't list them these are on Fleecebay but it won't let me post a link 186135115123 although I'm not sure I believe the spiel

"Fitment time - approx 10 min per bush - simply knocks in with a mallet"

More
08 Dec 2023 20:54 #252757 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Wandering on the Road
Mine used to wander and it is not lifted. I always thought the steering was too light and fitted a steering damper, they are only about £80 as a kit (cheaper if you buy the bracket kit then get a cheaper damper off eBay), takes about 15 minutes to fit and transforms the car at 60mph.

I used to find on a long journey my arms would get tired compensating for the twitching steering going over uneven surface or due to wind, but now it is much less effort and I don’t notice the heavier steering at slow speed, even lock to lock.

The general advise for a lift seems to be get castor correctors as well.
Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
08 Dec 2023 21:57 #252759 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Wandering on the Road

Are these suitable as our host doesn't list them these are on Fleecebay but it won't let me post a link 186135115123 although I'm not sure I believe the spiel

"Fitment time - approx 10 min per bush - simply knocks in with a mallet"
Yes those will do the job. The 10 min doesn't include the time it takes to remove the old bushes...

More
08 Dec 2023 22:20 #252761 by Roger Fairclough
It's a natural characteristic of beam axle cars with a steering box. There will always be a degree of slack in comparison to independent front suspension with a steering rack. Try a series 1 Land Rover, they had a mind of their own!

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Dec 2023 04:01 #252766 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Wandering on the Road
I too have a steering damper on my otherwise stock plus suspension and it makes Temeraire behave like a normal car in terms of directional stability, way nicer than Spare Jimny. I'm not saying you don't notice the solid axle ride but it definitely only goes where you point it.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
09 Dec 2023 08:21 - 09 Dec 2023 13:43 #252767 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Wandering on the Road
If you can fabrication yourself my damper kit cost about 30 quid and a couple of hours 
Use a Mk1 disco damper around 20 quid on ebay

Page 10 if you need an idea how to make one 
In the link below my Jimny 
Last edit: 09 Dec 2023 13:43 by jackonlyjack.

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds