BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Novice query about Manual Hubs and the flashing 4wd light

More
05 Dec 2023 21:57 #252649 by Wendi
Hi all. Total novice to mechanics and Jimny's but after reading all the posts on here I managed to test If the 4wd was engaging on a 02 plate JLX with manual 4wd selector (Thanks for so much assistance! ). Found out that it is what seems to be the common problem of 4wd is working the dashboard light is not.  For sanity's (and at the moment speed) sake manual hubs purchased and being fitted this weekend (by a mechanic not me lol although he has agreed to teach me).
So the novice question.  All of the topics on here talk about 'fooling the system' by pluging the vacuum lines etc.  Why can I not just remove the fuse from the 4wd section of the fusebox ? I will know when I've put the hubs in, I'll know when I've selected 4wd.. all I will want is Not to have a flashing light but not one topic on here mentions the fuse. 
Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2023 22:52 #252650 by DrRobin
Hi,

The hubs locking is only part of the puzzle, after they lock the transfer box engages the front prop shaft so if you remove the fuse, your manual hubs might be locked but there will be no drive to the front prop shaft and differential.

The reason for plugging the vacuum, or linking out the pressure switch is it fools the system into thinking that the hubs are locked and then the 4wd controller can command the transfer box to engage drive to the front.

Hope that helps.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wendi

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Dec 2023 04:27 #252653 by Lambert
That's more relevant if you have push buttons for the 4x4. I suppose removing the fuse might work but I don't know what else it protects without looking at the diagram. Hence it being easier to block the vacuum system.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
06 Dec 2023 04:33 #252654 by Busta
On a pre-2005 Jimny with the manual transfer case the easiest way to achieve what your looking for without upsetting anything else is to unplug the 4wd switch on the transfer case. It's the higher of the 2 connections, lower one is speedo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Wendi

More
06 Dec 2023 17:19 #252668 by jackonlyjack
Mine is flashing now for 8 years  ​​​​​​
When you're in any off road situation you no longer notice it. To busy avoiding the obstacles 
Just make sure you blank off the 2 stubs near brake calipers on each side. 
Imo axle looks nicer with all the rusty pipe work gone

More
06 Dec 2023 18:23 - 06 Dec 2023 18:24 #252669 by Wendi
Thanks. Vary clear to understand . There had to be a reason no-one had done it - I just couldn't find it :)
Good job i can leave it up to the mechanic really !
Last edit: 06 Dec 2023 18:24 by Wendi.

More
06 Dec 2023 19:03 #252671 by Busta
Jack, no rusty pipework on my axle and I have fully functioning, manually switched vacuum hubs :)

More
07 Dec 2023 19:40 #252712 by jackonlyjack

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds