BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Strange noise when turning on intermittent wipers

More
10 Nov 2023 10:30 - 10 Nov 2023 10:45 #252054 by Vandoni
I have a gen 3, when I turn on the front wipers on position 1 (intermittent mode) most of the time the circuit makes a noise near the stalk (I think) and the wipers either don't move or move only for a fraction of a second, sometimes they work fine but when there's this noise they don't move.
any idea what the problem could be?

Also, it has nothing to do with the first question, but does the M13A (non-vvt) have mechanical or hydraulic valve lifters?
Last edit: 10 Nov 2023 10:45 by Vandoni.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2023 15:13 #252056 by fordem
M series engines are "solid" lifters, "shim over bucket", as for the noise, without being able to hear it, we can only guess - I believe the intermittent mode uses a relay near the base of the stalk - if the noise s a short duration crackle, the relay contacts maybe arcing rather than making proper contact.

More
10 Nov 2023 15:21 #252057 by DrRobin
The noise might be relay 'chatter', it trying to engage, but never actually makes it.

I would think it is either a bad contact, possibly on the stalk or a failing relay. If the wipes don't move within the time window the relay will drop out, or perhaps it never engaged in the first place and therefore didn't latch for the wipers to do one cycle.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
10 Nov 2023 15:46 #252059 by Vandoni
Ok yeah that might be the relay, I'll have to remove the "cowl" that's around the steering shaft to check, anyway, the solid lifters means that I'd have to check valve lash every 30k Kms as per manual, right?

More
10 Nov 2023 17:25 #252062 by fordem

perhaps it never engaged in the first place and therefore didn't latch for the wipers to do one cycle.

The relay never latches, it just needs to supply power long enough for the wiper motor to move out of the "park" position, once the motor is out of park, a separate set of contacts in the motor assembly is used to power the motor until it returns to the park position.

More
10 Nov 2023 17:27 #252063 by fordem

anyway, the solid lifters means that I'd have to check valve lash every 30k Kms as per manual, right?

Yes, solid lifters will not adjust themselves the way hydraulic lifters so, that is the reason there is a valve lash check in the service schedule.

More
10 Nov 2023 19:05 #252064 by Vandoni
Ok good to know, thanks for the info guys!

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds