BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny losing power and cutting out with warning lights

More
16 Sep 2023 07:13 #250825 by Dazcush
Well lads, new member here... I recently bought a 2002 Jimny and am having a small issue.A few times now when driving, it starts to lose power, and the engine warning light and the immobiliser light starts flashing. The rev counter seems to be going wild too. When I turn it off, leave it for a min or two and turn it back on it's a little bit slow to start but then gets going again.It happened twice on the motorway and once going up a hill. I think it happens mostly around the 3000rpm mark too.Has anyone seen this before or know what it might be? Any info would be greatly appreciated.Cheers.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2023 08:06 - 16 Sep 2023 08:07 #250826 by facade
The usual cause is the crankshaft position sensor hidden between the alternator and the block.

The lights flash and the rev counter drops because it thinks the engine is stopped when the signal disappears. There won't be an error code though as it thinks the engine just stalled.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 16 Sep 2023 08:07 by facade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dazcush

More
16 Sep 2023 17:16 #250833 by Dazcush
Thanks for your reply.

Would this also explain the immobiliser light flashing on do you think?? I have a sensor on order so will replace it early in the week.

Some people on a Facebook page mentioned about an earth strap, an ecu being damaged or a blocked cat!

More
16 Sep 2023 17:46 #250835 by facade
Lack of power is often a blocked catalyst, but the rev counter dropping means the engine is stopping.

May actually be a bad earth, fractured cable or another fault like a coilpack breaking down (a missfire would set a fault code though), but the M series go through crank sensors like an elephant goes though sticky buns, they are cheaper than a diagnostic, and easy to change so worth a punt ( as the first shot of the parts cannon ;) )

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
16 Sep 2023 17:47 - 16 Sep 2023 17:49 #250836 by DrRobin
I had a similar experience with a Vectra 25 years ago,, sudden loss of power most dashboards lights flashed, speedo and rev counter went erratic, full scale, down to zero, repeat, then the engine died.

I coasted to a lay-by on a busy road and lifted the bonnet, the unmistakable smell of burnt wiring. It was a lease car so I was just getting ready to call the break down when this bloke stopped, said ‘they all do this’ and before I could stop him, he reached in and pulled a wire out of the harness, then said it would be fine and left.

The car did start and run ok, so took to the garage. I never saw the bill, but think they replaced some of the wiring harness in the engine bay.

Hopefully it will be your sensor, but when I read your post I thought if it isn’t the sensor, it might well be an earth or wiring. Mice are known to chew through the insulation and you get a variety of weird electrical problems.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Last edit: 16 Sep 2023 17:49 by DrRobin.

More
16 Sep 2023 21:33 #250841 by Dazcush
Thanks again for your reply and info.

I put in two new ignition coils the other day. I will get the new sensor in this week and hopefully that solves the problem! Will keep you updated absolutely worth the punt.

Cheers :)

More
16 Sep 2023 21:34 #250842 by Dazcush
Glad you got it sorted! The funny thing is this has happened a number of times. And always after pulling in, turning off the ignition and restarting it comes back to life (though slightly longer to start than normal). Never smelled anything burning either.

I'll try the sensor first and see from there.

Many thanks for the comment much appreciated :)

More
17 Sep 2023 22:11 #250857 by Busta
It's a familiar story, and almost always the crank sensor. I've picked up some very cheap Suzuki's over the years with the same "untraceable engine fault".

More
17 Sep 2023 22:29 #250858 by Henrikh
Hello, I have the exact same problem. I changed the crank sensor that in front of the engine. Behind the fan if i remember correctly. This did not help. If i understand this thread correctly then I tried to change the wrong sensor? Right now i al not taking the jimny on the highway as this always happens after some minutes on 3000 rpm and 100km/h. Could someone help me with the correct part number? I have a 04 but with a m16a engine from a 04 liana.

More
18 Sep 2023 08:03 #250859 by facade
The crank sensor has to be very close to the crank, on the M13 it is behind the alternator pointing at the front of the crankshaft from the side.

If your sensor was near the top of the engine on the front cover then it was the camshaft sensor, when this fails the engine usually keeps going but sets an error code.

More
18 Sep 2023 12:06 #250865 by Henrikh
Thank you! New part ordered. I hope this makes me able to take the old jimny ( my favourite car ) on the highway again. The feeling I got when the engine rpm goes bananas when i am deep down in a long tunnel made me avoid highways all together. I actually bought a new car just for highway use, so the Jimny could be used on country roads only. Hope the new sensor will fix it. Sorry for hijacking this tread.

More
18 Sep 2023 17:48 #250878 by Dazcush
Not at all the more info we get the better! Hopefully you and I both get sorted and can spin on the motorway in no time! Keep me posted.

Thanks again everyone!

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds