BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Illuminated push button wiring with relay for accessory lights - correct wiring?

More
12 Jul 2023 23:40 - 13 Jul 2023 00:08 #249857 by Grizzlie
Planning to put on accessory lights (for now bumper lights, but a roof rack lightbar is also in the plans). 
Got one of these push buttons off of everyone's favorite site... Mr Ali's Buttons
Seems as though all the cool kids have relays these days, so I'm planning to add one myself.
But is my understanding of the wiring correct? I've added a fancy diagram in the attachments.

I understand 87a is unnecessary here and a 4 pin relay could have been used.

Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Jul 2023 00:08 by Grizzlie.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2023 10:42 #249863 by DrRobin
Hi,

Your wiring diagram looks correct and you don't need a connection to pin 87a as this is the 'normally closed' contact.

Your wiring is for 'positive switched' which is fine for accessories like you spot lights where you are doing all of the wiring, but just be aware that existing circuits on a Jimny (E.g. headlamps) are mostly 'negative switched', so the relay/switch is in the negative/ground wire.

It won't be a problem as long as you don't try to pick up any wiring from the existing loom (E.g. on the headlights), just run new cabling from the battery/main fuse box. I would also recommend an inline fuse just in case.

If you lights are LED, they might be fairly small current, within the capablility of the rocker switch so you might not need a relay, but it is always best to use one if you can.

Hope that helps

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
14 Jul 2023 15:13 #249873 by fordem
Your lights appear to be "independently switched" and depending on where you are, are quite possibly not "legal" - "bumper lights" could be defined as either fog or driving (two very different types of light, with different designs and usage) and in many countries governed by different legal requirements.

It's a good idea to make yourself familiar with "local law" and ensure that your vehicle is compliant.

More
16 Jul 2023 15:39 #249881 by Grizzlie
Thank you!

I was planning on running completely separate wiring along with installing a relay. Haven't decided on which spotlight. This idea came to light after a small project using an ELTA EB8004 worklight. I'm toying with the idea of buying a headlight bar mount and attaching two round ELTA lights to it...but that's for another thread.

The law in my Eastern European country, if I'm correct, allows lights without a homologation to be on the vehicle but they must be "permanently" disconnected...and quite possibly covered. However, there's nothing against using them off official roads.

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds