BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Rear suspension bottoming out on rough roads.... where to start?

More
01 Jun 2023 17:56 #249379 by Manxman
Hi all,

So, the 2008 Jimny I bought recently came with +2" suspension and 235/75/15s. On smooth roads it drives okay, but on rough roads/lanes it seems to bottom out very easily at the rear. Much more easily than any other 4x4 I've owned. This is my first Jimny incidentally. 

Before I start ripping into things, is this kind of bottoming out "normal" for a lifted Jimny, or is there an issue with the lifted suspension? I don't know the make of the suspension fitted, but it does seem quite soft on the springs - I guess its possible the shocks are reaching full compression before the axle hits the bump stops? 

Any thoughts/advice very welcome! Thanks guys. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2023 18:35 #249380 by jackonlyjack
I would remove both shocks and check they have pressure/resistance when pushed by hand 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manxman

More
02 Jun 2023 08:49 #249391 by Scimike
Once they are off also measure the damper travel and check against vehicle articulation.
As you indicated it's possible it's damper travel especially as you don't know what's fitted. I would suggest it's not normal, so start investigating.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
03 Jun 2023 13:07 #249403 by Manxman
Okay - quick update. Looks like the lift kit is likely Pro Comp judging by the shocks. I believe it was a matching kit (springs and shocks).

However... the previous owner also fitted shock extenders on the back axle - net result, the upwards movement of the shocks was only about 1 1/2 inches before the shocks were fully compressed - nowhere near the bumpstops of course. So I'm pretty confident that was the issue. The shocks themselves still have pressure, albeit not as much as I would expect, so they may well be on their way out. I've never had much faith in Pro Comp stuff previously TBH, ran it on a couple of Landies and had frequent shock failures before I gave up and moved onto other manufactures (e.g. running Pedders now on the Cruiser).

Anyway, I've removed the shock extenders and it does seem to have reduced the bottoming out issue, however its increased the tendency for the tyres to foul the arches when hitting fast bumps! The tyres are SImex copies with big side lugs, and at 235/75/15 are pushing the envelope on a +2" kit despite trimming the inner arches etc.

Need to sleep on it and decide next steps... Thanks again for the comments Jack and Scimike.

More
03 Jun 2023 13:18 #249404 by jackonlyjack

More
03 Jun 2023 18:25 #249407 by Manxman
Thanks - yeah I was thinking about that - also wondered whether I should just bite the bullet and get a new full +2" kit (Black Raptor maybe?).

QQ - can anyone give me a measurement to check how much lift I've actually got on the current set up? Say from the centre of the hub to the wheel arch? I'm suspicious the current springs have sagged somewhat, as well as the shocks being tired.

Thanks guys!!

More
03 Jun 2023 18:39 #249408 by jackonlyjack
I can't I have no arches  ​​​​​​

You need measurements from a standard ride height Jimny 
Attachments:

More
03 Jun 2023 18:50 #249410 by Manxman
LOL! Fair enough. At the moment I have approx 480mm at the front (centre hub to the arch) and 450mm at the back. If anyone has a stock one (or indeed one with a recent "2" kit) handy, can you let me know what your measurements are please?

More
03 Jun 2023 23:12 #249411 by Scimike
It's 16.5 inch rear (419mm) and 17nch front (432mm), both sides, this is my standard 2009.
Wheel center vertical to underside of plastic arch.
Use and abuse may change these figures car to car. I tow with ours so the rear end gets loaded every year.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
04 Jun 2023 11:34 #249412 by Manxman
Thanks guys - so using Scimike's measurement as a guide I actually have something close to 48mm lift at the front (i.e. near as damn it 2 inches) and more like 31mm at the back, possibly even less given that you tow with yours - so maybe more like 1 inch now.

Anyone else running a +2" that could confirm these measurements please, before I start planning on what to replace?

Thanks guys, appreciate the help.

More
04 Jun 2023 13:21 #249415 by jackonlyjack
Have you looked to see if person before you fitted spring spacers to get the lift

Look like this on top of coil spring 

It's a cheap way of lifting 
Attachments:

More
04 Jun 2023 13:29 #249416 by jackonlyjack
You could fit a pair of 15mm spring spacers onto rear to level it up for now 
Then when you get round to fitting new suspension sell on the 15mm spacers
People buy these to combat the suspension lean 

I use one 1" on front driver side.....because i use honda crv rear coils all round 

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds