BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

4" lift - 33 tires questions

More
30 May 2023 16:18 - 30 May 2023 23:08 #249350 by jcvs17cr
Hi,

Im looking at fitting 33" extreme Mud tires into my Jimny JB43 2016 (for some serious offroad, maybe a couple of times per month). I will probably use a normal MT or AT tires for daily use. I already have a 3" pro comp lift which I'll be looking to increase to 4" and I have an ARB rear dif lock.

I have 3 questions:

1. For the Caster corrected radius arms,  I saw some available in TrailGear for the JB74. Is there any chance that the original radius arms between the 2 Jimny versions (JB43 & JB74) are the same (because if so, these TG arms could probably fit the JB43)?

2. Should the caster corrected arms move the front axle to the front to allow for bigger tires?. I have seen a chinese manufacturer WMD that offers those arms, moving the front axle 50mm to the front.

3. For the new gears, my mechanic recommended the 4.56 differential gears. In other builds, I have seen that new gears are installed in the transfer case instead, for an increase in high and low gears (15% high and 104% low increases for example). My question is, should I look to install both? Do the transfer and differential gears "mutiply"each other? Is one better over the other?
Last edit: 30 May 2023 23:08 by jcvs17cr. Reason: adding 1 more questions

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2023 19:31 #249351 by lesgrandepotato
Yes they multiply, the change in transfer ratios is more likely to make a difference in my opinion. 

I’ve just build a rock lobster for my SJ. That’s effectively halving the low ratio from 2:1 to 4:1 and a. 10% reduction in high range. 

More
31 May 2023 08:27 - 31 May 2023 08:27 #249360 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic 4" lift - 33 tires questions

Hi,

Im looking at fitting 33" extreme Mud tires into my Jimny JB43 2016 (for some serious offroad, maybe a couple of times per month). I will probably use a normal MT or AT tires for daily use. I already have a 3" pro comp lift which I'll be looking to increase to 4" and I have an ARB rear dif lock.

1. For the Caster corrected radius arms,  I saw some available in TrailGear for the JB74. Is there any chance that the original radius arms between the 2 Jimny versions (JB43 & JB74) are the same (because if so, these TG arms could probably fit the JB43)?

The stock Gen 3 and Gen 4 radius arms are identical. Even the part numbers are the same
Last edit: 31 May 2023 08:27 by saxj.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rabid Rhino, jcvs17cr

More
31 May 2023 16:39 - 31 May 2023 16:47 #249368 by jackonlyjack
For castor arms Raymond Edwards (rhino ray)
he now makes adjustable ones with a rose joint at chassis end
gearing i would say fit an sj transfer box with sumo 6.4:1 reduction new gears
www.jimnybits.com/sj-samurai-suz-6-4-sp-...r-case-gear-set.html

Jack
Last edit: 31 May 2023 16:47 by jackonlyjack.

More
01 Jun 2023 14:53 #249377 by jcvs17cr
Thank you! When you refer to "adjustable" do you mean the length? I have been able to find both arms that extend the original length effectively moving the front axle to the front (50mm) and normal length ones? Do you know if I should choose one or the other preferably for the 33"?

More
01 Jun 2023 16:16 #249378 by jackonlyjack
I have 32's using jimnybits +3" arms front and rear 
If you push your axle forwards by 50mm you will need to chop out the front panel near the body mounts
mine touches every now and then 
 I have ~3" suspension lift with a 1" body lift

when you say extreme tyres are we talking special tracks because any thing with large tread lugs that stick out will catch everywhere 
what tyre size are you getting 33/9.5/15 also what wheel off set (ET)

I have 750r16 on 0 ET wheels 

Yes rays arms do extend on threaded rose joints 

personally i would buy jimnybits +4" arms and get the heavy duty props too
Then you will need HD front shafts and cv's the list is large and gets very expensive to make it reliable off roader 

More
02 Jun 2023 01:58 #249383 by jcvs17cr
Im planning on using the Badak extreme 33" for off road. In terms of the offset I havent decided, but I wouldn't mind trimming a little. Ideally I would like to keep the original rims.

In terms of the HD shats, would you get only for the front? If so, why? And for the CV, any brand that you would recommend?

File Attachment:

I found this photo of a Jimny using the same tires that I want but in 35". It looks great, at least for what I like. 

More
02 Jun 2023 17:49 #249397 by jackonlyjack
Longfield shafts and cv's 
Go with 26 spline if you can.... But.... This means you have to change out the 22 spline side gears from front differential. With a set of 26 spline gears from a rear differential 

With that tyre size and weight plus grip they will give the standard front shafts and cv's will break [often] 

Rear shafts are a little stronger so change these if you want to 
[when you take out rear shafts for whatever reason you may notice that the splines are starting to twist at diff end this means it's time to go HD version Longfield] 
Or some friends of mine do a full floating rear axle conversion these use front wheel bearing hub...... So carrying a spare means that it fits every wheel
The following user(s) said Thank You: jcvs17cr

More
11 Jun 2023 13:17 #249500 by Rabid Rhino
Suspension kit, half shafts, transfer case, prop shafts.
All this sounds spendy. Sit down & do the maths.
See if Tibus are selling a set of portals for cheap. If you dont ask you wont know.

Looking for a nice clean and straight LHD Jimny..... Not any more.
Got one that seems to have been magnatized and driven through the "Big Jimny Bits" parts stores too quickly so it missed a few items.

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds