BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Best seatbelt design for slopes?

More
23 May 2023 19:55 #249251 by CFJimny
I use our Jimny as a workhorse on our farm.  Everywhere is very steep and when I get out on the slopes, the seatbelt locks and when I get back in, I can't put the belt on.  Then I have to drive down/across/up the slopes without a seatbelt. This gets a bit twitchy...

Is there a better design which will attach quickly but won't be affected by slopes? Sorry for the noob question!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2023 20:30 #249254 by Busta
How about a seatbelt clip? They are simple devices that loop onto the seatbelt to stop it retracting. Then all you have to worry about is trapping the loose seatbelt in the door.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CFJimny

More
24 May 2023 06:41 #249258 by RainerK
You could also install Rallye-seats with a 5-point seat belt. To install this is much more effort but if you frequently drive in rough terrain the increased safety might be worth the effort.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CFJimny

More
24 May 2023 10:16 #249259 by facade

You could also install Rallye-seats with a 5-point seat belt. To install this is much more effort but if you frequently drive in rough terrain the increased safety might be worth the effort.

Will a 5 point belt pass MOT?

The requirement in MOT manual appendix C is for 3 point belts (B,G &O) which I think is a typo as inertia reel are covered seperately in E&H.

I always had "words" with the MOT tester when I had harnesses in the Series III, as although they were obviously better than the original early 1970s fixed seatbelts, they were the "wrong" type for MOT.

The easiest & lowest cost solution is as Busta says, a clip to stop it retracting (take it off for MOT) 

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
24 May 2023 11:18 #249260 by Busta
There is no issue with multi-point harnesses in an MOT.
However, having daily driven a car with bucket seats and harness for several years, they are a terrible option for a vehicle in regular use. The simple act of getting in and out takes considerably more time, and normal movements while driving are severely restricted, e.g. looking over your shoulder when reversing. They are also very expensive.

More
24 May 2023 15:33 #249264 by facade

There is no issue with multi-point harnesses in an MOT.
However, having daily driven a car with bucket seats and harness for several years, they are a terrible option for a vehicle in regular use. The simple act of getting in and out takes considerably more time, and normal movements while driving are severely restricted, e.g. looking over your shoulder when reversing. They are also very expensive.

I had forgotten that!
I was nearly 30 years younger then, thinking about it now, I remember having to squirm into the harness and it being rather awkward.

Actually, I have a hazy memory of refitting the three point belt as well for daily driving and sitting on the harness.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
24 May 2023 18:03 #249267 by CFJimny
A clip! Genius idea! I'll stick a bulldog clip on it.

I like the idea of a bespoke harness but I need to get in/out quickly so I think the clip is the better idea (and cheaper!) for what I need.

Thank you all.

More
24 May 2023 18:45 #249270 by jackonlyjack
I would not advise a harness 
Unless you have roll cage
Imagine being held pretty rigid and not being able to lean to one side incase of rollover 

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds