BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Engine/Electrical issues

More
15 May 2023 14:28 #249119 by CB1289
Hi!

I was just wondering if someone might be able to help, as i have recently had a problem with my 2001 Jimny...

Background
Previously I have had problems the engine cutting out and my diagnosis seemed to point to the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) and/or the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS), so I replaced them both.
This seemed to make a very small improvement, but to be honest this could be me convincing myself I'd done something good for a change. The problem very quickly re-appeared and the engine would cut out when the engine went idle (i.e. foot not on accelerator).

The Problem
After further investigation, I have noticed recently that there is a 'crackling' noise when the accelerator is pressed - this is only audible when the bonnet is opened (i.e. its fairly quiet). Something appears to be arcing/shorting - my guess would be the wiring coming from the IACV or TPS however its hard to narrow down as the loom is quite large. This arcing then causes the engine to stall.
Secondly, i have noticed that once the engine has stalled, its not an easy re-start of the engine and it is quite jumpy - there is also a fairly strong petrol/oil smell. If i leave the engine a while (~10 mins) it starts up a little better.
Thirdly (and this may be completely unrelated) but i have noticed that when OUT of gear (i.e. in neutral), if i move my foot off the clutch, the car creeps forward. I have a suspicion that the clutch is on its way out, so could be unrelated, but thought i would include in case it had any relevance to the main problem.

Any help would be massively appreciated! I can provide videos/pictures if needed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds