BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

2 injectors not pulsing

More
04 May 2023 07:39 #248949 by Robbo
Ok so I don’t have a jimny but I’ve got a carry 1.3 with the same g13bb engine

i recently changed the head gasket, timing belt and water pump. After reassembling I had the timing 1 tooth out so wasn’t running properly so pulled the belt off and made it all correct and now it won’t start. I’ve got spark and fuel pressure. Injectors 2 and 4 are spraying fine but injectors 1 and 3 aren’t.

I checked the wiring quickly with a multi meter and the have continuity but no pulse when kicking over whereas the other 2 did

any ideas on what I should check?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2023 13:48 #248957 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic 2 injectors not pulsing
I want to say go back to the timing - if you have fuel on two cylinders it should start & run, although very poorly, the fact that it is not starting suggests it's not a fuel issue.

Before you do that, try starting it whilst spraying starter fluid into the intake - if it's a fuel problem it should start & run for as long as you keep spraying the starting fluid, if it doesn't, then it's most likely a timing issue.

Be very careful doing continuity tests, and always ensure that you are not applying voltage (from your continuity tester) to the ECU, you can cause problems that way.

More
04 May 2023 16:13 #248958 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic 2 injectors not pulsing
When you checked for an injector pulse was that with the injector connected or disconnected?

If the injectors were connected perhaps 1 and 3 are pulling the signal down? If disconnected it sounds like there is a bad connection or no output from the ECU on 1 and 3.

You can check the resistance of an injector, it should be about 12 ohms.

You should always suspect something you have just changed, what got disconnected when you did the head gasket, timing belt and water pump?

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
08 May 2023 07:14 #249000 by Robbo
Replied by Robbo on topic 2 injectors not pulsing
I think you’re onto something there mate!

I unplugged one of the bad injectors and it almost started but when all 4 are plugged in it has no chance. I popped up the injectors to see them and unplugged a hood injector and 3 injectors were firing. Plugged them all back in and it’s back to 2. But now I can’t get more then 2 going again so I guess it was lucky I seen that. I’m guessing the injectors are screwed and when I unplug one it has enough power to sometimes fire the others or the ecu is doing some crazy shit. I’m not 100% sure I’ll do some more investigating when I get my multimeter back

More
08 May 2023 08:10 #249002 by facade
Replied by facade on topic 2 injectors not pulsing
I'd focus on checking the injector wiring, you will have disturbed it when you removed the head and each time you fiddle with an injector.

If it uses the same ecu as a jimny each injector has a single separate feed wire from the ecu and an earth connection.

Check for any pinching of the wires, trapped wires or evidence of breaks.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
13 Jun 2023 07:15 #249512 by Robbo
Replied by Robbo on topic 2 injectors not pulsing
I’ve tried tracing the wiring back but can’t find any breaks. Does anyone have an ecu pin diagram or know what makes the injectors pulse? Is it the cam trigger

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds