BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

New Alternator Belt/Q about kingpin

More
17 Apr 2023 08:41 #248646 by manyskills
Hi All,

I am trying to find an alternator belt. I can't see one on the bigjimny webshop, only the PAS belts.
I'm looking on eurocarparts, but the belts they are suggesting don't match up with the code on the wiki page: 4PK 835. Can anyone advise please?

My kingpin bearing has also gone, so need that replacing. Should I just do both sides even though on the drivers side has failed? I'm looking at this kit , do I need anything else while I am ordering?

Thanks!
Cerys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2023 09:06 #248647 by Abudougal
Someone linked this to me when I was looking for belts, hope it helps.

www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php/Drive_belts

More
17 Apr 2023 09:19 #248649 by yakuza
Yes, buy that kit. those bearings and parts have good fitment, high quality. And the bearings got the small rubber part that seal it a bit better, cheap alternatives may not.

Funny: A friend of mine did a LJ80 king pin this weekend, same bearings on king pin from Jimny gen 1 and thru gen 3

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
17 Apr 2023 09:43 - 17 Apr 2023 09:44 #248650 by manyskills
@abu Thanks, yes I've been on there. That's where I've got the part number from. It's just that eurocarparts is suggesting that part doesn't fit mine, so I'm a bit confused about it.

@yakuza thanks for confirming. And is that all I need? aside from oils and grease.

Last edit: 17 Apr 2023 09:44 by manyskills.

More
17 Apr 2023 12:02 #248651 by Abudougal
Oh sorry bout that, the guy did explain to me, I think the first bit of the number corresponds to how many ridges are on it - usually three or four and the other bit is the length, I was told if the length is just a bit out no bother as the tensioner will take it up but I'd double check this with someone more knowledgable than me before going for it:)

More
17 Apr 2023 14:30 #248655 by manyskills
Yes I've read the same. I can get hold of a 4PK836, and to me I'm thinking what's 1mm? but I'm no mechanic haha

More
17 Apr 2023 14:41 #248656 by Abudougal
Well at least you've got the best colour one anyway..

More
17 Apr 2023 17:00 #248660 by facade
Yes 4pk is the rib type and 835 is the length, so an 836 will fit, but you may run out of adjustment a fraction early when it wears. Going smaller is a bad idea as you can't get the belt on!

The number will be printed on the belt, it usually stays on the alternator belt as nothing rubs the outside, The tensioner rubs the writing off the PAS belt.

Just check what is fitted now, and where the adjustment is.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
18 Apr 2023 19:46 #248697 by Busta
There's loads of adjustment on the alternator. I run a 4pk850 as it's the same size as the power steering belt. Anything between 830 and 850 will be fine. I think they come with an 833 when new. Aftermarket belts go up in 5mm increments so 835 is the closest match.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds