BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Painting the lower plastic trim to match the body

More
27 Mar 2023 21:24 #248269 by mickyd
Has anyone any experience of the proper technique of how the wheel arches and lower plastics, along with both bumpers are painted to match the body?
I used to paint a long time ago, so have a good deal of knowledge.
I had a car a few years ago with faded arches, and because i wasn't confident in how to do it to make a good job, I sent it to a (quite expensive) body shop to have them painted.
The body shop guy seemed a little stumped at the technique to use in getting them to match, and when it came back it was acceptable, but not durable, and the finish seemed to come off.
I have seen another thread here:
www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread....0-Jimny-matte-colour
But to no real solution.
I ask because I have a Jimny with one faded arch, and whilst confident, I really need to know the right way to do it.
I do remember 20 or so years ago, I had a matt lacquer, which could be the answer,
Or is it simply the texture of the mouldings will create the matt effect?
I'd prefer someone with experience confirm the way to do it rather than experiment.
Thanks.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Mar 2023 04:21 #248271 by Lambert
I wouldn't expect Suzuki to have done more than the minimum of processing so it's probably just a plastic primer and a colour and clear if the rest of the car has one, I don't think every colour was clear coated? So the finish will be a result of the texture of the plastic.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
28 Mar 2023 13:28 #248281 by Scimike
As said above you can get a specific plastic primer, any good paint supplier should be able to help if you go talk to them. It's normally only required if your existing paint is failing to adhere or its an u painted surface. Prime with this first, then primer / top coat / lacquer.
However, if your existing paint is well adhered I don't see the need for it, simple key with sandpaper should be enough. 
Go have a talk to a local supplier, they will mix the paint and tell you what you need and how to apply. Our local one does,  very helpful.
Avoid Halfords / Generic Auto stores, products OK but you need advice from the paint mixer / supplier. 

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
28 Mar 2023 14:36 #248286 by DrRobin
I painted the plastic panel on the passenger door using a pot of spray paint and spray pencil (large nozzle). It took a couple of coats and then some cutting back to get it even. I also applied a laquer afterwards.

I just bought the paint using the paint code, if anything it is slightly lighter than existing paint which was a surprise given colours usually fade. Still if you spray the whole panel no one notices, especially as the finish looks different on plastic and metal.

I didn't bother with a primer, as it was still painted, just roughened the surface.

I took the panel off to do it in the shed, mostly as I have to spray on the car outside and the weather wasn't very good.

I have also had good results with aerosol cans, but the texture of the finish nearly always looks different. Go to someone who mixes then cans the paint if you go this route. Getting the right amount of paint down is harder with a can so expect to have a practice first, again taking the panel off and doing it inside helps.

I used aerosol primer, paint and laquer to re-fresh some alloy wheels recently, I was very pleased with the result, but the wheel paint is a semi matt finish which is always easier to spray.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds