BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

How to unplug this connector? Tried everything that came to mind.

More
24 Mar 2023 15:23 #248205 by Adr1an
 It has a latch on one side, all attempts were done while pressing it down fully.

Connector was cleaned all around, then heated up a bit (warm to touch) using a hairdrier. It won't move no matter how hard I pull it side to side etc. I tried to insert a very small screwdriver on the long sides to push downwards but still no go. Tried to grab it with small pliers, won't move.
 The connector has a very tight fit, so if I try to spray WD40 inside it will make a mess and nothing else.

Any ideas? The photo is taken before cleaning it up etc. 
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2023 16:19 #248206 by DJ20
Not sure but I thought the lug on the bottom right of your photo had to be pushed in towards the connector and then plug would pull apart. Usually pretty tight though.

More
24 Mar 2023 16:29 #248208 by DJ20
Push in the direction of my poorly draw arrow while pulling the connector apart I think. 
Attachments:

More
24 Mar 2023 17:19 #248210 by Roger Fairclough
You must clean off all that muck and that includes the recess where the latch sits. DO NOT PULL THE PLUG BY THE WIRES. To do so will likely damage the connectors. When thoroughly clean wobble the plug and the socket to break the bond. A good spray with WD40 will usually help. The clip usually will need pushing in. Have a good look at it, if necessary use a good light and a magnifying glass. If the clip wont move, there is still muck jamming it. I would suggest a smear of vaseline on the pins and sockets, but they must be clean before you do so.

Roger

More
24 Mar 2023 21:52 #248215 by Adr1an

It has a latch on one side, all attempts were done while pressing it down fully.

Thanks guys, but as I said in the OP this isn't a problem of not pressing down the latch/lug situated on the side of the connector. All the attempts were done while pressing it down fully.

Was hoping there may be some clever way to pull it out without breaking it.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 Mar 2023 03:47 #248220 by Lambert
Looking at it I would say that the small red part is potentially some kind of interlocking device that needs to be lifted out of the connector first, it's probably captive and has an open and close position. Do you know what circuit it is on/location on the car?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
31 Mar 2023 15:37 #248334 by Adr1an
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the red thing is just the gasket, I suppose the fact that it protrudes out is a design feature allowing it to stay put inside the "mother" side of the connector when it is unplugged.

The connector is on the harness going to the gas tank. If you have any idea please share, I lost at least two hours trying to just unplug this damn thing.

More
31 Mar 2023 19:30 - 31 Mar 2023 19:36 #248341 by mlines
Does this help? Watch full screen on Youtube for clarity of the picture

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 31 Mar 2023 19:36 by mlines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget, RainerK, Adr1an

More
01 Apr 2023 16:08 #248347 by Adr1an
Thanks a lot for taking the time to make the video.

I'll have to wait until tomorrow (it's raining bad now and the Jimny is outside) but I must confess I missed the slot where you inserted the screwdriver, despite cleaning the connector really well.
Hopefully mine has it also and I just didn't noticed it.

I'll check tomorrow and report back.

More
01 Apr 2023 16:18 #248348 by mlines
No problem

I thought it better to video the real thing rather than get the wrong connector and therefore describe the wrong method of release. There are similar looking connectors but the release action is different.

Note that I am twisting the screwdriver not using it as a lever

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
01 Apr 2023 23:01 #248354 by lightning
l had two of these on my motorcycle and to separate them you have to put a small screwdriver under the red thing on top and lever it out, which will release the connector.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adr1an

More
06 Apr 2023 15:35 #248410 by Adr1an

Sorry for the late reply, the weather was horrible here, just today managed to get under the car again. This is how my connector looks now, no amount of twisting with the screwdriver made it open the slightest bit.

If it's not too much trouble, could you please take a clear photo of the inner side of the "mother" part of the plug? I'm trying to figure out how to make a lever and apply some force without breaking the damn thing. Clearly it was never opened since the car left the factory in 1998...
 Thanks a lot!
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds