BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Occasional miss fire when driving?

More
08 Dec 2022 20:22 - 08 Dec 2022 20:23 #246268 by Lomax
My Wife’s Jimny has started to drop power now and again while diving. It hunts for revs for a bit and then goes fine. Best described as a bee in a bottle lol.   Sometimes at lights it hunts for revs also, but doesn’t stall! 

It’s an 09 plate on 93k, regular servicing etc. there is no engine management light on, so struggling to know where to start? 

any help?
Last edit: 08 Dec 2022 20:23 by Lomax.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Dec 2022 04:24 #246270 by Lambert
It could be the HT leads/ coils, hard to say over the internet without driving it while it does it.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
09 Dec 2022 07:58 #246272 by Scimike
As Lambert said remote diagnostics is difficult. It could be many things such as coils, idle control valve (ICV), crank / cam sensor or even battery voltage.
Your description of the fault and subject are potentially different problems. If you can confirm a miss fire or cut out of the engine then it's likely electrical. A drop in power (but no miss fire) could be a blocked exhaust system or intake, hunting could be the ICV. 
So be as accurate as you can with the description and when it happens (engine hot / cold etc). 
We will all do our best to guide you.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
09 Dec 2022 08:48 #246273 by Lomax
Thanks for the reply guys.

It’s while hot it happens. The car doesn’t cut out, but drops power for a short period and then kicks back in. At lights sometimes the revs will fluctuate like it wants to stall, but doesn’t.

When it happens while driving, it’s best described as a bee being stuck in a bottle lol.

I was considering plugs and leads, but I thought if it was that it may do it all the time. I ideally don’t want to chuck money at it.

It’s had a new cat in the pat year, but the back box has maybe seen better days. We only just mot’d it, it took a bit to get it to pass the emissions.

More
09 Dec 2022 13:26 #246275 by DrRobin
Has this only started since the MOT? If so do you know what they did to get it through emissions, it might give us a clue? Did they add a fuel additive to get it through emissions?

The bee in a bottle sounds a bit like a misfire, does it judder a bit as well?

I had a similar problem last year with my other car after changing the CATs, loss of power after low revs and the odd misfire. I suspected O2 sensors as one showed a fault on my code reader, then went through coils, plugs, air filter, MAF, everything made a bit of an improvement. Finally I realised it only did it when the battery was getting low, charged it up and the problem went away until the battery was low and the problem came back. Now I keep the battery charged and no more problem.

The problem you have could be a number of things, I would check/charge the battery, at this time of the year with the lights, heater, demist on the battery takes a real hammering.

Plugs and leads are an easy check, check the coil packs for cracks.

I assume the air filter is clean, but what about water in the fuel, filled up anywhere unusual or only had problems since filling up?

Jimnys have two CATs, one underneath, the other in the exhaust manifold, the manifold CAT is known to disintegrate and clog the exhaust, this might cause it. It won't be your backbox, unless it is full of water and very clogged.

Hope that helps.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds